header

fesan
Go to solution Solved by fesan,

Hi...

Updating a small site of mine.

I had a header that read header("location: full-web-page-url"). I replaced this code so it is a bit easier to update my pages in the future.

I then added this code:

host  = $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'];
$uri   = rtrim(dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), '/\\');
$extra = 'index.php';

The page has worked flawless before i did this and now i have a "refresh delay". The first page is a form that a user submits. This takes the user to a new page with the execute code(no visuals for user). after execution the page runs this code(se below) to take them back with info about the execution.

_SESSION["message"] = "Eventinfoen er endret.";
header("Location: http://$host$uri/$extra"); 

The header works fine and the code executes fine, but the session message is not echoed on the next page before i press refresh in my browser.

In the php manual i find this: 

Session ID is not passed with Location header even if session.use_trans_sid is enabled. It must by passed manually using SID constant.

Does this involve every session variables? If that is the case how do i use a SID constant to transfer all my variables?

You declare a session as $_SESSION['session_name']. You missed the dollar sign. $_SESSION is a superglobal, just like $_SERVER which you used previously.

Take a look here:http://php.net/manual/en/language.variables.superglobals.php

Also, I'm pretty sure if you start a session in a file, then locate to a new file using a header() call, then you have to restart the session also with session_start(). If you locate to the new page with an include() or require(), you don't have to re-declare the session_start().

Depends what you want to do because obviously after including the file it will return to the calling script eventually.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

L2c.

Edited by Love2c0de

yea, i missed out the dollar sign while copying! :) it is in the original code.

There is no change in the pages except from i have changed the header goal from an direct URL to a PHP made url. Before i changed the code everything worked out as i wanted.

The Index.php has a "session_start()" at the veyr start so it s re-declared every time the page is refreshed. 

Run a var_dump() on $uri just after setting it. It's returning an empty string for me even though when I do print_r($_SERVER), there is a value in theat index.

There is a problem which lies in your dirname() call I think, you are passing a filename when you should be passing a directory name. Whether it is affecting it I don't know because you seem adamant you are successfully getting to the header page and the only place you use the $uri variable is in the header call..

Kind regards,

L2c.

Edited by Love2c0de

i did a var_dump() on all 3 variables:

string(15) "www.bahrawy.net"

string(13) "/dev/ballroom"

string(9) "index.php"

echo $host.$uri."/".$page;

www.bahrawy.net/dev/ballroom/index.php

I can't see the the difference between these two:

- header("Location: http://$host$uri/$page");

- header("Location: http://www.bahrawy.net/dev/ballroom/index.php");

and thanks for the help by the way! :)

Edited by fesan

• Solution

Ahhh.... i found the error!

Just me doing stupid things without thinking! My process page is not included in my index where the rest of my includes are. Therefore my variables where not set in the process page.

Thanks for the push!! :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.