Compiling PHP for Windows - Linking Error

Hello,

I am trying to compile PHP on my own and have gotten all the way down to the nmake step and am getting the errors below. I am enabling the mssql extension so that it outputs the DLL so that's where this hangup is occuring. 

php_mssql.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _compiler_globals referenced in function _php_mssql_message_handler
php_mssql.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _executor_globals referenced in function __close_mssql_link
php_mssql.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _le_index_ptr referenced in function _php_mssql_do_connect
php_mssql.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _zval_used_for_init referenced in function __mssql_fetch_batch
php_mssql.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _zend_standard_class_def referenced in function _zif_mssql_fetch_object
Release\php_mssql.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 5 unresolved externals NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\Bin\cl.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

How do you resolve errors like those?

I've never tried compiling PHP on windows before, so I can't be of too much help but one thing I do know is that the php_mssql extension is old and no longer maintained. If your trying to compile anything newer than PHP 5.2.x it may just be that the extension is no longer compatible. It was officially removed in PHP 5.3. You should be using the SQLSRV extension instead for modern PHP versions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.