HTML form action posting to php file

aikorei
Go to solution Solved by aikorei,

I'll throw you all a softball, since I'm sure this has to be easy and I'm just daft...

All I'm trying to do is create an html form that posts data to a php file on my server. But the php file isn't a webpage. It's just a file in one of my subfolders.

When I put what I believe the absolute url to the file on my server in as the action, it brings me to a blank white page and nothing happens.

I believe I get the concept of using $_POST to get the information and handle it....but how do I get it to the file?

<form action="myfolder/myphpfilename.php" method="POST">
<input type="text" name="myfieldname">
.... many more fields here if you need them.

<input type="submit">

</form>

To see something when you access your php file you need the php to output something.

Try adding this code

echo 'Hi there <br />';
echo $_POST['myfieldname'];

to see how it works.

Edited by davidannis

• Solution

I just realized that my php errors were printing to an error_log I didn't realize I had (in a different folder than the main error_log I usually check). There was a syntax error that was blocking the file from loading right.

I had been trying to echo something to the page, and it wasn't working...now it is. I guess the right syntax makes a difference. =P

Thanks for the help anyhow!

Edited by aikorei

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.