Sorting & Matching Comma Separated String Values

sintax63

I have two fields in my database table that I need to sort out and match up. On is staff_id and the other is staff_name.

staff_id

1958324, 5930349, 6802941, 0592854

staff_name

John D. Doe, Sammy D'man, Lucy Lane, Jesse J. James

What I need to be able to do, is know that the first ID goes with the first name, second ID with second name, etc...

I'm passing a variable through (the staff_id number) and I need to be able to query my database and spit out the matching name.

Any help out there?

OK, I'm working now with something like this. I am using 7 variables for each because I don't know if it can be calculated automatically and add the number on the end via the loop or not. In any case...

$partsName = explode(",", $staff_name);
$staffName1 = str_replace("(", "", $partsName[0]);
$staffName2 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsName[1]));
$staffName3 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsName[2]));
$staffName4 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsName[3]));
$staffName5 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsName[4]));
$staffName6 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsName[5]));
$staffName7 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsName[6]));

$partsID = explode(",", $staff_id);
$staffID1 = str_replace("(", "", $partsID[0]);
$staffID2 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsID[1]));
$staffID3 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsID[2]));
$staffID4 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsID[3]));
$staffID5 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsID[4]));
$staffID6 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsID[5]));
$staffID7 = trim(str_replace(")", "", $partsID[6]));

Now I just need to figure out how to figure out what $facultyIDx belongs to my passed through variable, and then count that position and somehow translate that count to $facultyNamex. Am I even getting close?

...Am I even getting close?

not even.... could be done?... probably but unlikely will be correct/efficient/good practice ... should be done in that way?... NO

you already had a good starting point from Jessica... read on "database normalization", here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization is a simple way to start... if you don't understand it... just came again and ask... many will be offering help then.... for now probably the majority will just ignore the post or will be telling you the same over and over.

Also a clear explanation of your final objectives and details of your tables design will help to understand better what you are trying to achieve, allowing to the members to give you a better advise.

Here is another resource provided for a forum member (Christian) that could be interesting for you to watch

http://forums.phpfreaks.com/topic/273634-best-way-to-set-up-tables-when-multiple-values/?do=findComment&comment=1408360

Edited by mikosiko

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.