How To Score a Job As a Freelancer?

BorysSokolov

I realize I asked this before, but I still haven't found an answer, so I hope nobody will mind if I ask again.

Over the last couple weeks I've been hunting for a web developer job as a freelancer. Although I've never done any work previously, I feel that I could manage to design a simple website or a web app. The problem is, however, that every job offer I come across requires an "experienced professional with an excellent portfolio" - I posses neither the experience or the professionalism, and the only thing I've got to show for a portfolio is this: http://www.simpleunits.co.nf/ , since I don't complete most of the projects I start :/

I'm not sure which direction to go. Should I build up a portfolio first, or work on developing my skills further? Or do I continue with my job search? If so, how do I score a gig?

I should clear up: I'm not looking to earn money, my main goal is to gain experience.

If you're a freelancer, you're going to have to start small and grind out a portfolio.  And, while you can do that with various experiments/demos, your best bet is to actually go around town, talk to people, and try to work on a real project.  I guarantee you that there's at least one small, local business that would like some form of web presence in your area.

Why bother with that?  Your own projects, no matter how skillfully crafted, will be lacking in one area: human interaction.  Nothing can replace the valuable experience of actually talking to and dealing with a client, figuring out where you draw the line on certain requests, etc.  Freelancing in particular is a people-oriented business, as in most cases you'll need to convince your client that you're worth their investment.  That's a challenge you simply can't replicate.

If you can earn a client's trust, chances are they'll recommend your services to someone else.  That's the kind of advertising you can't buy.  And if you're good, it will snowball.  After that, you can get a job wherever you want as you'll have both the portfolio, and perhaps even better, war stories re: clients, to prove your worth.

Also a client is more likely to hire you if you can show an application where you have built something similar to the project you are discussing. Which is why having demo's of several different kind of applications handy a good sale strategy.

Like Kevin already mentioned scout your local businesses, though far from big bucks, they are a good way to fill your portfolio and gain experience. Advertisement is as good a payment as money.

Edited by ignace

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.