Output SQL query into Variable?

leoric80
Go to solution Solved by leoric80,

Hi

I am completely new to PHP (and this forum) so be gentle :)

I have a html web form that posts to a PHP page, the posts are then stored as a variable and then written to a database as per the following code.

<?php

include "database.php";
$school_id = $_POST['school_id'];
// Data for text message
$student_id = $_POST['student_id'];
$senderno = $_POST['senderno'];
$destno = $_POST['destno'];
$message = $_POST['message'];
$message = urlencode($message);

mysql_query("INSERT INTO ".$school_id."_outbox (senderno, destno, message, student_id)
VALUES ('$senderno', '$destno', '$message', '$student_id')");

?>

What I would like to do is the following...

If the value of $destno is equal to "WholeSchool" I would like to run a the SQL query "select 1_contacts.p1contact_no from 1_contacts" and store the results of each row into a variable called $WholeSchool for use into the following query..

mysql_query("INSERT INTO ".$school_id."_outbox (senderno, destno, message, student_id)
VALUES ('$senderno', '$WholeSchool', '$message', '$student_id')");

This probably doesn't make a great deal of sense but if anyone could help me out with this then I would be hugely grateful.

Thanks!

Actually if you look up insert query in the MySQL website  (just google MySQL insert) you will see an example of this exact thing.

google is your friend - use it.

I have googled it but don't seem to find exactly what I am looking for, could you provide me with a link perhaps? I am not having any trouble inserting the data, the trouble I am having is outputting the result of the select query into a variable that I can use in my insert query.

Thanks for your help

Not sure if this is exactly what you want... 

if ($destno == "WholeSchool")
         {
         $WholeSchool1 = mysql_query("Select * FROM 1_contacts");
         while ($WholeSchool2 = mysql_fetch_assoc($WholeSchool1))
            {
            $WholeSchool = "$WholeSchool$WholeSchool2[1_contacts]: $WholeSchool2[p1contact_no] , ";
            }
         $WholeSchool = substr($string, 0, -2);

}
else
         {
         }

It is kind of corny, but should work. It will separate each data with a comma and at the end of it all, it deletes the last space and comma to keep it clean. I didn't try inserting it into a database, but echo $WholeSchool gives me the right results.

Oh dang, should have proofread it all... change the $string to $WholeSchool. if 1_contacts.p1contact_no is the whole row name then just do 

$WholeSchool = "$WholeSchool$WholeSchool2[1_contacts.p1contact_no] , ";

Quostin Thank you so much for your help as it looks to be exactly what I need, could you please post this along with the correction you made there after proof reading and I will give it a go! Thank you again :)

Hi I get the following error message when i test this code..any ideas?

php -l outbox.php 
PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ']' in outbox.php on line 23
Errors parsing outbox.php

{
         $WholeSchool1 = mysql_query("Select * FROM 1_contacts");
         while ($WholeSchool2 = mysql_fetch_assoc($WholeSchool1))
            {
            $WholeSchool = "$WholeSchool$WholeSchool2[1_contacts]: $WholeSchool2[p1contact_no] , ";
            }
         $WholeSchool = substr($WholeSchool, 0, -2);

}
else
         {
         }
Edited by leoric80

• Solution

So I got this working as desired using the following code, thank you again for all your help!

{

$result = mysql_query("Select * FROM 1_contacts");
        while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
$everyone = $row["p1contact_no"];

VALUES ('$senderno', '$everyone', '$message', '$student_id')");

}

}
else
         {
         }

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.