do while (true)

Nev

Hi all, I need a little help please. I've got some code that creates a socket and a echo server, but I'm not having any luck in getting it to run. I've got the socket created, and closes, but when I try to run the code inside the "Do" "While" section the web page just hangs. I can see the port created on my server. Can some please shed some light at to what I'm doing wrong or what settings I need to change. My server is Apache/2.0.64 (Win32) PHP/5.2.17  .code below. Thanks in anticipation. Nev

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

/* Allow the script to hang around waiting for connections. */
set_time_limit(0);

/* Turn on implicit output flushing so we see what we're getting
 * as it comes in. */
ob_implicit_flush();

$address = '192.168.0.7';
$port = 10001;

if (($sock = socket_create(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, SOL_TCP)) === false) {
    echo "socket_create() failed: reason:1 " . socket_strerror(socket_last_error()) . "\n";
}

if (socket_bind($sock, $address, $port) === false) {
    echo "socket_bind() failed: reason:2 $address" . socket_strerror(socket_last_error($sock)) . "\n";
}
echo '<p>Hello World</p>';

if (socket_listen($sock, 5) === false) {
    echo "socket_listen() failed: reason:3 " . socket_strerror(socket_last_error($sock)) . "\n";
}

do {
    if (($msgsock = socket_accept($sock)) === false) {
        echo "socket_accept() failed: reason:4 " . socket_strerror(socket_last_error($sock)) . "\n";
        break;
    }
    /* Send instructions. */
    $msg = "\nWelcome to the PHP Test Server. \n" .
        "To quit, type 'quit'. To shut down the server type 'shutdown'.\n";
    socket_write($msgsock, $msg, strlen($msg));

do {
        if (false === ($buf = socket_read($msgsock, 2048, PHP_NORMAL_READ))) {
            echo "socket_read() failed: reason: " . socket_strerror(socket_last_error($msgsock)) . "\n";
            break 2;
        }
        if (!$buf = trim($buf)) {
            continue;
        }
        if ($buf == 'quit') {
            break;
        }
        if ($buf == 'shutdown') {
            socket_close($msgsock);
            break 2;
        }
        $talkback = "PHP: You said '$buf'.\n";
        socket_write($msgsock, $talkback, strlen($talkback));
        echo "$buf\n";
    } while (true);
    socket_close($msgsock);
} while (true);

socket_close($sock);
?>

Thanks for your reply, I'm a bit new to this and I was wondering if you could explain "cli". Currently I'm trying to run from my laptop's web browser, through my local intranet. How should I run this program.

Thanks again.

Cli as in Client, I guess.

And I wouldn't have a do {} while(true) running all the time, initialize a variable that holds the value true and change it during function execution so that you have a way to fall out of the loop.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I've managed to get this to work now, I had to open the port on my server pc and my laptop. Now I can telenet into the server. When I type "shutdown" it it stops the server, if I type quit it disconnects but does not shut down the server, so unable to start as already running.  

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.