Get Unique Computer Description Using PHP

lilmer

Using PHP, how do I get some unique information  to a computer that is visiting my website. Something like private I.P. but you need a tools to get that and PHP doesn't have that. . 

I'd try to use $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] but it get a network I.P.

I don't think you can get anything that is unique to the computer visiting via PHP. You could drop a cookie on their machine when they visit so you can track them. All you get in $_SERVER is whatever is voluntarily included in the HTTP request so a system based on that would not be more fallible than going down the cookie route. 

What's the system you are trying to create?

Storing a cookie with a unique ID inside of it is the only thing you can do to try and uniquely identify a computer. There are no other identifying marks which can be tied to a specific computer. Even a cookie is not perfect, but it's the best possibility.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.