html pre ISO-2022-JP only works in IE

sqlnoob

hi

http://www.shugo.nl/shugo7/manual/kanji.php

I am trying to make the stylesheet work in all browsers. So far I notice that this page with a pre tag for the japanese kanji only works in Internet Explorer. I'm trying to make it work in Firefox and Chrome too.

I tried html 4 transitional and html 5, neither of which works. The only thing Firefox and Chrome loads is the pre tag, but not the stylesheet.

Change the encoding to utf-8.

EDIT: If you don't want to change the encoding (I like UTF8), try to set a html base tag inside the head tag.

(not tested):

<base href="http://www.shugo.nl">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../look/guidestyle.css">
Edited by jazzman1

OK tried it with an internal stylesheet and that works allright. Apparently if you use an external stylesheet with a Japanese character set, that isn't supported in firefox and chrome. I don't know why that is so. Perhaps because the stylesheet is not iso, that causes problems for firefox and chrome but not for internet explorer.

Would love to hear a suggestion where it works with an external stylesheet.

Edited by sqlnoob

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.