Label Printing

santosh22

Hi,

I need to get dynamic contents (name & address) from database and have them printed in labels. 

I am preparing a HTML page with the right height, width & margins defined for the type of labels (AVERY). However, while printing those, I feel it is not having right effect on the alignment. 

Based on the text length, the labels get printed over eachother & margins are not aligned.

Can you please suggest a browser plug in which would take my content & give me rightly aligned output from the printer? I am using a normal HP printer.

Thanks 

Each browser type (IE, FF< Opera) and each version can have differences in how it displays a web page. Using a web page for exacting printer layout/output is never going to be 100%. For labels you can probably format the structure of the output so it will meet your needs, but you can't cover every eventuality. If the content of some labels is bigger than the available space you can reduce the font size to cover those eventualities. heck, even MS Word will fail to fit content into a label template if there is too much text.

EDIT: Here is a post on dynamically scaling text within a fixed area that might be of interest to you.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/687998/auto-size-dynamic-text-to-fill-fixed-size-container

Edited by Psycho

You could also output it to a pdf so you wouldn't have to worry about the browser differences.

I was going to suggest that - but you still have the same problem of the text may not "fit" in the available space. So, the process to output to PDF would have to be able to measure the output and adjust it accordingly.

someone suggested me to use this plug-in. Scriptx

I will see if that suits my needs. I have tried the PDF file one, but it also has the same problem of alignment. I am going to use one browser but again the challenge is some css is not working in different versions. 

Thanks for all suggestion. IF there are any more, I would love to welcome.. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.