Catching value which contain new line

kangkingkong

Hi,

I have problem getting the value in this string. The regex im using is : 

preg_match_all('#<span class=\"header\">(.*)</span>#', $file_string, $titles);

and it returns fine when i search 

<span class="header">A Radiological Assessment of Scottish Edible Seaweed Consumption</span>

but when i search :

<span class="header">A Radiological Assessment of Scottish Edible Seaweed
Consumption</span>

it returns Null....As far as I can see, its the new line in the middle of the string cause the regrex to just pass it.

Any help please ? Thank you.

Heres the code

$file_string = file_get_contents('http://www.emeraldinsight.com/search.htm?st1='.$searchterm.'&ec=1&bf=1&ct=jnl&nolog=503574&displayno=30&page='.$currentpagenumber.'');
preg_match_all('#<span class=\"header\">(.*?)</span>#s', $file_string, $titles);

if( count($titles[1]) > 0)
{
   for($i = 0; $i < count($titles[1]); $i++) {
     echo "my count".$i." contains : ".$titles[1][$i]."<br>";
   }
}
Edited by kangkingkong

well in any case, these are the values I used, based on the context of your posts:

$searchterm="provision+of+European";
$currentpagenumber='1';

$file_string = file_get_contents('http://www.emeraldinsight.com/search.htm?st1='.$searchterm.'&ec=1&bf=1&ct=jnl&nolog=503574&displayno=30&page='.$currentpagenumber.'');
preg_match_all('#<span class=\"header\">(.*?)</span>#s', $file_string, $titles);

if( count($titles[1]) > 0)
{
   for($i = 0; $i < count($titles[1]); $i++) {
     echo "my count".$i." contains : ".$titles[1][$i]."<br>";
   }
}
and here are the results:

my count0 contains : European information: the pattern of provision in Scotland
my count1 contains : The provision of European information by public libraries in the UK
my count2 contains : The provision of European information to the academic community in university libraries: a case study of a European Documentation Centre
my count3 contains : Problems, needs and service provision related to stimulant use in European prisons
my count4 contains : Can Pension Systems Cope? Population Ageing and Retirement Income Provision in the European Union
my count5 contains : The European information needs of secondary school teachers in Scotland: recent developments in the provision of information to schools and colleges
my count6 contains : The pattern of provision of European Union information in France and the United Kingdom: a comparative study of services
my count7 contains : Methodological problems of sampling young homeless people in four European societies with different levels of service provision and definitions of homelessness
my count8 contains : Electronic public information and Europe: an electronic forum in support of transparency and openness in government
my count9 contains : Real estate education in Europe: some perspectives on a decade of rapid change
my count10 contains : Strategic development related to the Europeanization of UK logistics and distribution service suppliers
my count11 contains : User involvement in the illegal drugs field: what can Britain learn from European experiences?
my count12 contains : Multi-racial Provision: An Integral Part of Library and Information Services
my count13 contains : European vocational education and training: a prerequisite for mobility?
my count14 contains : Commonplaces
my count15 contains : Central and Eastern European business information: a review
my count16 contains : Central and Eastern European business information: a review
my count17 contains : New Challenges in Training
my count18 contains : Training for Europe – Should Britain Follow the German Model?
my count19 contains : Reluctant enablers: Competition in local government in Ireland and the UK
my count20 contains : Trade unions and the training of health and safety representatives: Challenges of the 1990s
my count21 contains : European Union Enterprise Policy and the Hospitality Industry
my count22 contains : The implementation of the European Credit Transfer system as a curriculum evaluation tool
my count23 contains : HRD in Europe
my count24 contains : The provision of psychotherapy: an international comparison
my count25 contains : Aslib open meeting: Euronet and you
my count26 contains : Forwarders and Computers: More Evidence for Regulation?
my count27 contains : Continuing vocational training in Europe
my count28 contains : Food and residential care in old age
my count29 contains : The Role of the European Community in Civil and Environmental Emergencies
so my guess is either your $searchterm and $currentpagenumber don't have expected values, or your problem is elsewhere.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.