Displaying URL as a link!

justcrapx

Ah, is my english so bad?

I know how to echo query results and how to use anchor tags.
What i really cant figure out is how to extract urls from a complete text.

Just pretend theres a database entry like: "hello dude, check this website. www.phpfreaks. com"

when i fetch this entry inside anchor tags it becomes something like,

<a href="hello dude, check this website. www.phpfreaks.com">

but i want the following output.

<p>hello dude, check this website.</p><a href="www.phpfreaks.com">www.phpfreaks.com</a>

Well i hope this time i could explain the matter.

Ah ok, I see what you mean
regular expressions, you would have to use regular expressions to hunt down the link, and change it to an anchor, have it place a <a href=" before it, and then have hte link, then have it put a " title="if you want one">name here</a>
you have to have it insert all of that where you want using string replace, and search and find fucntions, comparing strings, you are tlaking about working with regular expressions, above what I know about regular expressions, but that is going tobe where you want to look.

His should work with everything, if not, then just expand it a little.

If you are having problems.
Integrate what he showed you into your code, test it out, see where it work's, adn where it doesn't see what you can do, then bring it back here, post the entire code again, and tell us what it does, what it doesn't do, and what you need help with.
Then you can go from there.

The string is always a message just like each one in this forum topic. So i dont have the chance to know the scheme, domain name or path everytime. What i needed was some code to fetch any link inside the string between anchor tags and to  target the link itself. Finally i managed to find a way. That works for any probable url for the http:// or www scheme.

[code]
<?php

$mssage = preg_replace('=([^\s]*)(www\.)=', ' http://www.', $mssage);
$mssage = preg_replace('=([^\s]*)(\w://[www\.]*)([^\s]*)=', '<a href="\\1\\2\\3\\4" target=_blank>\\1\\2\\3\\4</a>', $mssage);

return $mssage;

?>
[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.