TodoList script fails to find mb_strtolower()

BongoBoy

This is more configuration I think, but I did not see a better place to ask.

I'm totally new to PHP, have not written a line of code. Have set up Netbeans, and have successfully run the TodoList example application previously, connecting to MySQL and reading/writing to the database.

After several reinstallations of most everything, I finally got TodoList to start up again, but on selecting any of the app functions, the app does a fatal error when it tries to use mb_strtoupper which it calls in a utils.php script,

I'm thinking these type of functions are defined in a header file somewhere, and if so then I need to figure out why the script can't find them. I don't believe my current PHP install was done using a Windows installer--I was able to get Apache to recognize PHP through the web server .ini file I reckon, but maybe that wasn't good enough and I really needed a registry entry. I suspect my first PHP installation was in fact done using an installer.

Anyway, I don't know how to troubleshoot this, let alone fix it. Suggestions?

Well, I did both the enabling of the extension and set mbstring.func_overload = 1,2 per the link above, and restarted Apache. It made no difference (same error), so that tells me the php.ini file I edited is not associated with the PHP Apache is actually communicating with. But, that actually doesn't seem to be the case.

I edited c:\php\php.ini, verified Apache 2.2 is the service that's actually running, and then inspected httpd.conf located in the Apache 2.2 folder under Program Files. The configuration file contains:

LoadModule php5_module "c:/php/php5apache2_2.dll"

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php

PHPIniDir "C:/php"

Is there any way to have the Apache server tell me what PHP it hands off php to?

Please forgive my sloppy or incorrect terminology--I'm just learning not only PHP but web in general. I mean, I know how to shop, but...

I ran get_loaded_extensions() and mbstring is not one listed. It must be that it was a pre-installed extension in the PHP I had originally installed, and that's why the Todolist tutorial application just happened to run.

So, I guess the first step is to find out about loading and installing modules. Looks a bit more challenging that for Perl.

I wonder if I can get this thing to run by simply editing all the multi-byte calls to the 'standard' functions. Let's see.

I completed deleted the project and started another tutorial project from scratch. This is also a tutorial found at netbeans.org, the wishlist project.

Everything worked just fine until the first function was called--in this case the connection request for MySQL.

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect() in [path]"

Just based on various comments I've seen at php.org, I'm now thinking my PHP is not compiled in a way that is compatible with my Apache 2.2.

So, while I spent an hour trying to ensure I had the correct PHP, maybe not.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help--I think I've got to get a solid install before I do anything else.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.