Hosting for a Webdesign Company

paddy_fields

Hello

I'm launching my own web design company and need some advice on a suitable hosting provider. I will be hosting my clients sites myself.

Is the a major downside of using a site like 'GoDaddy' to host the sites?

I have looked into dedicated managed servers on RackSpace but they charge around £600 per month... and this is too high for me at the moment as I'm just starting out.

Is a dedicated server the way to go?

I'm looking to have 1-2 new sites hosted every month, so it will start small, and then hopefully greatly expand in capacity needs - if that needs to be considered when chosing the right hosting option?

Any advice would be invaluable

I dislike GoDaddy, both because of what they stand for (they originally supported both SOPA and PIPA), and because the few times I was forced to use them it was a painful experience (horrible control panel, customer service that knew nothing, but always tried to upsell what they could, etc.).

I have a reseller account at ICDsoft that suits my needs.  Not sure of how they compare with GoDaddy with their prices, but I've had no complaints.  And they can give you shell access if you require it, which is nice (I do since I use Symfony for most of my PHP projects).

EDIT: Each site I have with them has their own shared hosting account.  Their base level accounts have more than enough features to handle small-to-medium sites.

Edited by KevinM1

There's just too many hosting options out there to even describe.  Cloud options like aws are very popular because you can ramp up things when needed, and ramp down when you don't.  A lot of the staff here at phpfreaks (myself included) have used Linode.  I've also heard good things about Digital Ocean.  There are plenty of articles out there talking about the strengths and weaknesses of each.

The entry and even mid level costs for these services is quite reasonable.

I have a personal aversion to hosting panels, as they bloat the server and eat up precious resources.  I do understand that in some circumstances where you need a control panel to turn over to clients, a reseller account can be a viable option, but I really think that the tide has turned in favor of "cloud" ie. "VPS" resources. 

You can also develope using Vagrant/Virtualbox and basically run your own development resources locally, having an environment that is nearly identical to your desired deployment environment.  Pair that with a paid github account and you have everything you need to develop responsibly and effectively, as well as helping automate deployment of updates.  And during development you can easily make a localhost development server available for client review using ngrok.com.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.