Is Node Js really 'taking over'?

paddy_fields

I was in pub last night and some guy was telling me about NodeJs, and that how his company have stopped employing PHP developers all together in favour of Node developers.

The way he made it sound was essentially 'Why are you still using PHP?'. Is this a fair point of view to think that in the future NodeJs will be that big? I've tried to read up on it as much as I can, and I can see the features are attractive, but it doesn't immediately strike me as a language that could be used for large scale projects?

He also said he'd beat me at pool. And didn't. So I question his authority.

Firstly, node.js is not a language.

Secondly, most technologies have fanboys, node.js is flavour of the month. Don't get me wrong, it has plenty going for it. It does however have completely different use cases when compared to PHP for example.

it was just about him saying about the employability that striked me as odd

PHP is still the most widespread used of the back end web languages and it's popularity is yet to wain. In fact, I would say that the language, community and job prospects (for quality devs) are still very much on the rise. The reason you don't hear that much about it, is because it has been on top for a long, long time.

There is plenty of exciting stuff happening outside of the world of PHP, but there are also plenty happening within it. No harm (at all) in learning a new language/technology though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.