PHP Delete Button HELP

stanlex

Hello, 

I recently started learning PHP on my own and started to use mysql and apache as well. I made a basic table in mysql and using some php code i displayed the table in a html table in a browser. Now I'd like to add a delete button beside each row and when clicked, it would delete that row. I am very new to this and I'm just practicing. Could anyone please help me? This is the code I have so far:

<?php

ini_set('display_errors',1); 
error_reporting(E_ALL);

mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', '');

mysql_select_db('testdb');

$result = mysql_query('select * from products');

$numrows = mysql_numrows($result);

//****************************************************************
print "<table border = 3 style = width:400px>";

for($i = 0; $i < $numrows; $i++)
{
$row = mysql_fetch_row($result);

print "<tr>";

foreach($row as $cell)
{

print "<td>";
print $cell;
print "</td>";

}
print "</tr>";

}

print "</table>";

mysql_close();

?>

I also have a delete.php page but I really don't know where to start. I've looked online tutorials and many say different ways. 

Thanks.
stanlex Forum Newbie   Posts: 1 Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:46 pm
  •  
  •  

Great that you are learning php and that you are showing some real indications of doing the right things.

One point - since you are just beginning you must backup a step and learn to use either the mySqli or PDO sql interface, since the mysql one is being eliminated shortly.  I suggest PDO and learning about prepared statements.

Your code looks pretty good except:

- make it a practice to check the result of a query call before trying to use the results (such as checking # rows).  It's good practice to utilize the returns that function calls give you when offered so that you don't continue on with invalid results.

- for the sake of readability, use indents/tabs to write your code.  It will make your life a lot easier when trying to debug your code.

As for adding a delete button for each row, you will need to understand how forms work and either output one form wrapped around all of your rows with a separate button on each row.  You will have to have a way of knowing which row the button is to be associated with too.  Or you could just have a field where you provide the record number or key and a single button that looks at that key value and then deletes accordingly.  Another good feature of a delete button is to use a simple JS confirm box to give the user a last chance to change his/her mind.

Lots to learn yet!

@ginerjm Great information, I got a lot from that too.

Make and use a form something like (Mock code):

<form id="form1" name="form1" method="post" action="page.php">
    <input type="hidden" name="hiddenField" id="hiddenField" value="<id from record here>" />
    <input type="submit" name="id" id="id" value="Delete" />
</form>

Yes - something like that.  The form would be created for each row of the html table.  And don't forget to include an onclick= attribute on the submit.

BTW - it is not necessary to provide both a name= and id= attribute on elements.  Name - yes - since you need it to reference in php.  Id - no - unless you have some JS code that will use it.  Seems that there are many posters who do this and I wonder if they realize that it is not always needed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.