Preventing SQL Injection

Petsmacker

Hey, I'm almost certain my site has a few security holes and have begun work trying to patch them up - one way is by preventing SQL Injections.

The PHP.net site recommends this kind of strategy:
[code]<?
if (!is_numeric($value)) {
$value = "'" . mysql_real_escape_string($value) . "'";
}?>[/code]

This is a PHP file included on every page of my site:
[code]<?
function stripslashes_gpc( &$var ){
while( list( $key, $value ) = each( $var ) ){
if( is_array( $var[$key] ) ){
stripslashes_gpc( $var[$key] );
}
else
{
$var[$key] = stripslashes( $value );
}
}
reset( $var );
}

if( count( $_GET ) > 0 ){stripslashes_gpc( $_GET );}
if( count( $_POST ) > 0 ){stripslashes_gpc( $_POST );}
if( count( $_COOKIE ) > 0 ){stripslashes_gpc( $_COOKIE );}
?>[/code]

How could I possibly implement the above code into this file so that $_GET, $_POST and $_COOKIE variables are protected. Is there any way of doing this - by only editing this or a few files rather than systematically going through every page on my site and editing them?

I normally do something like
[code=php:0]
foreach($_POST as $k => $v) {
$_POST[$k] = addslashes(stripslashes($v));
}
[/code]
for post get and cookie... That way if theyre already slashed then it removes the slashes before it adds the new ones and theyre all mysql query safe.

And that completely stops SQL Injections?
One example PHP.net was this:

$query = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE user='{$_POST['username']}' AND password='{$_POST['password']}'";
mysql_query($query);

// We didn't check $_POST['password'], it could be anything the user wanted! For example:
$_POST['username'] = 'aidan';
$_POST['password'] = "' OR ''='";

SELECT * FROM users WHERE user='aidan' AND password='' OR ''=''

Which would allow anybody to login without a password. (Though I'm thinking about this in terms of creating my own forum)
- So something like the above couldn't happen with your code?

echo addslashes(stripslashes(\\'or a = a\\'));  Would return \\'or a = a\\'  which would still cancel out in mysql... I think... I had never thought of that before... you could do

str_replace("\\", "", $v);
}
[/code]

Which would remove all slashes before adding new ones so even \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'content\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'  would return \'content\'

I don't really want to have to automatically edit what my members post simply because they may be a threat. If somebody for whatever reason did want to post: \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'content\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\, then it would come out like that but of course, I still don't want my site to be threatened. There must be a way for posts to come out whole and good - even with protection added on.

I found this script:

function quote_smart($value)
{
  if( is_array($value) ) {
      return array_map("quote_smart", $value);
  } else {
      if( get_magic_quotes_gpc() ) {
          $value = stripslashes($value);
      }
      if( $value == '' ) {
          $value = 'NULL';
      } if( !is_numeric($value) || $value[0] == '0' ) {
          $value = "'".mysql_real_escape_string($value)."'";
      }
      return $value;
  }
}

Do you think if I changed the :
[i]if( count( $_GET ) > 0 ){stripslashes_gpc( $_GET );}
if( count( $_POST ) > 0 ){stripslashes_gpc( $_POST );}
if( count( $_COOKIE ) > 0 ){stripslashes_gpc( $_COOKIE );}[/i]

To:
[i]if( count( $_GET ) > 0 ){quote_smart( $_GET );}[/i]
...and so on - would it work?

Ok turns out my original script can handle user \'s.  (my .ini is set to automatically add slashes on post get and cookie {always forget what the setting is called} so i always do stripslashes too)

<?
mysql_connect("localhost", "*******", "********");
mysql_select_db("test");
if($_POST) {
}
$sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE `uname` = '{$_POST['name']}' and pass = '{$_POST['pass']}'";
$q = mysql_query($sql);

echo $sql . "<br>";
$n = @mysql_num_rows($q);
is_numeric($n) ? NULL : $n = 0;
echo "number of rows: " . $n . "<br>";
echo "Name input: " . stripslashes($_POST['name']) . "<BR>";
echo "Pass input: " . stripslashes($_POST['pass']) . "<BR>";

}
?>
<form action="" method="post">
name: <input type="text" name="name"><BR>
pass: <input type="text" name="pass"><BR>
<input type="submit" name="sub" value="Submit">
</form>
[/code]

If a user inputs \\\\  if you strip the slashes off the post variable (once it adds them) it will return \\\\

Script mentioned above running live at http://corbin.no-ip.org/sql/  (dont get excited if you find a security hole, the user the script is running on just has select privs on that DB :P

Alright, my host automatically adds \'s to posts too but I don't know if my original question has been answered.

If someone was to add: ' OR ''='
Into a password field like it says in my 2nd post, would it pose a threat - would it pose a threat with the original script I posted? Or should I change it to the way you have yours? Would it make a difference?

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/security.database.sql-injection.php

Never connect to the database as a superuser or as the database owner. Use always customized users with very limited privileges.

Check if the given input has the expected data type. PHP has a wide range of input validating functions, from the simplest ones found in Variable Functions and in Character Type Functions (e.g. is_numeric(), ctype_digit() respectively) and onwards to the Perl compatible Regular Expressions support.

If the application waits for numerical input, consider verifying data with is_numeric(), or silently change its type using settype(), or use its numeric representation by sprintf().

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.