Problems Installing Apache Service

GeekyGirl

I originally posted this under the W.A.M.P. topic but then I noticed this section and felt it belonged here.

So here is the original message:
I had Apache, PHP and MySQL installed and had tested the PHP-Apache set-up with everything working perfect.

Then I had read an article about how important it is to install all three programs into the same folder, which they recommended to be server.  So I unistalled and reinstalled all three programs which now reside in the C:\server\ folder.

When I try to install Apache, I get two errors on the black screen.  I have attached a screen capture of them. Because of the errors, no service is installed.

So I tried to do a system restore to bring my system back to where the programs were working but it didn't fix the situation and I am still showing that Apache doesn't have a service installed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ok - glad to hear you got it fixed. To explain what was happenning with those errors (so you know for the future):
Error #1: There was an apache process already running on port 80. Thus when you went to start another apache process - it couldnt use port 80 - as it was already in use.

Error #2: Apache can be started/controlled using 2 methods -> 1= services, so it is started on bootup of your pc etc. 2=manually using apachectl start (where you start and stop apache yourself). So error 2 meant that it tried to start apache with a service - but couldnt.

The complete package probably removed all instances and put a new copy in from fresh making a new service.
In CONTROL PANEL -> ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS -> SERVICES
You will see an entry for Apache - where you can start,stop, set automatic/manual startup if you like.

-steve

Thanks for the information.  I always like to learn so it is helpful that you responded.

I knew there was another Apache service running but the funny part is that I couldn't find it.  It wasn't showing up under the services.  I thought maybe there was a registry entry that might be causing the problem so after I uninstalled Apache, I cleaned the registry of all Apache instances and then reinstalled the software.  But it was still causing the same problem.  I'm just happy I found out about the wampserver package from searching this forum and was able to get things working.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.