How can I make this idea?

Zola

A few friends of mine run a little competition between ourselves for a bit of fun. This has been in the past, a sports prediction spreadsheet where we predict the outcomes of champions in various football leagues around the world.

Up to now its always been a very laborious spreadsheet with that my friend can no longer be bothered to do.  

is there any way I can do this in php / html?

There would be 8 players predicting the outcome of 6 leagues. We award points for who gets the most, half points for coming close etc.

Any ideas as to what way to approach this would be appreciated. I amvery proficient in HTML and CSS, but a bit of a novice in PHP......but if there is a script or some idea to get this up and running I would be very appreciative. 

Thanks

Read up on MySQL and setup a database and tables in your environment.  Then read some tutorials on querying and hwo to implement either MYSQLI or PDO as your db interface (Do Not Use MySQL_* functions).  Pretty basic stuff - create a connection from php to sql; select the database to be queried; write/prepare a query; execute the query; check the results of the query (true or false) and then loop thru them to output information.  Posting data to the db is pretty similar.

Writing the php is something you will have to also read some tutorials on too.  There are some very good books out there - check out a decent bookstore or library and spend a few hours reading, starting with the basics.

Most importantly - be sure you use good practices.  Security against hacking and injection are the most important things to keep an eye on - don't short-change yourself by ignoring these things.  Again - read.

The php.net manual is an important resource to all php programmers - set up a keyboard link to it and keep it uppermost in your mind as you write and need to lookup things.  Link to that and other resources can be found at this site/forum's  home page.

Do yourself another favor by avoiding like the plague big chunks of code that you find by trolling the net.  You will most likely download something that is years behind the times, uses inappropriate code and does not handle security and injection properly.  Learn. Write.  Then ask for help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.