Change Image for the returning visitors.

zlatangu
Go to solution Solved by Ch0cu3r,

How are you tracking visitors?  With a login process perhaps?  You have to know some way of who's who, unless you simply want to track the ip address, which won't be at all accurate.

So - you log someone in.  If they already existed, you change the background on the next page load.  Simple?

How are you tracking visitors?  With a login process perhaps?  You have to know some way of who's who, unless you simply want to track the ip address, which won't be at all accurate.

So - you log someone in.  If they already existed, you change the background on the next page load.  Simple?

No you are not understanding me. I can use cookie for letting the script know that the visitor have been on that page before and than load the second image instead of the first one. Just that I don't know to code in php, can you help me please.

• Solution

You'd use setcookie to set the cookie

Then using isset to check if the cookie exists in the $_COOKIE superglobal. If the cookie exist you'd show the second image otherwise show the first image

Read the documentation to the linked pages above, study the code examples to see how they are used. From the pseudo code  below you show be able to implement what you are trying to do in PHP

/*before any output*/
set the 'visited' cookie

/* in your HTML page you'd have this if statement*/
if(isset cookie 'visited')
{
    /*output second image*/
}
else
{
    /*output first image*/
}

You'd use setcookie to set the cookie

Then using isset to check if the cookie exists in the $_COOKIE superglobal. If the cookie exist you'd show the second image otherwise show the first image

Read the documentation to the linked pages above, study the code examples to see how they are used. From the pseudo code  below you show be able to implement what you are trying to do in PHP

/*before any output*/
set the 'visited' cookie

{
    /*output second image*/
}
else
{
    /*output first image*/
}

OK from the following code i got just a blank page

<?php
/*before any output*/
set the 'visited' cookie

{

print ("second") 
    /*output second image*/
}
else
{

print ("first")
    /*output first image*/
}
?>

As Chocu3r said "From the pseudo code below...". 

What you wrote is NOT code.  You simply echoed the 'pseudo code' he wrote.  Do you not know the meaning of 'pseudo'?

You really need to learn how to write php.  That means reading.  And reading some more.

Did I mention learning?

Edited by ginerjm
  • Like 1

actually you haven't learned.  Yes you wrote some rudimentary php code but it is flawed.  Besides the intermingling of html and php code needlessly, you did not read the entire manual page covering setcookie.  If you had you would realize that you cannot set a cookie and 5 lines later check for its existence.  Cookies are not 'real' until the page has refreshed.  And I'm pretty sure you didn't read all the documentation since your cookie is malformed to begin with.

And to top it all off the html you are outputting for your image display is also bad.

actually you haven't learned.  Yes you wrote some rudimentary php code but it is flawed.  Besides the intermingling of html and php code needlessly, you did not read the entire manual page covering setcookie.  If you had you would realize that you cannot set a cookie and 5 lines later check for its existence.  Cookies are not 'real' until the page has refreshed.  And I'm pretty sure you didn't read all the documentation since your cookie is malformed to begin with.

And to top it all off the html you are outputting for your image display is also bad.

Yes what you are saying is true. But for now this was what I needed for my website.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.