Need help with my auction script.

Friger

Hello. I am pretty fresh at php. And i want to ad a quantity field for my auctions. So it needs a extra field in setting up auctions ,the extra input in auctions page and some way of autoupdate in the auction itself. Can i modify a inventory script to do this function or would it be easier to just implement it into the existing files?

And where can i find the codes i need?

Rather silly of you to post all that code and expect us to make sense of it. You hardly comment it at all. It's all a string of code with no clear breakdown of functions that accomplish things for you. Add a few go-to's and you've got what we used to call 'spaghetti code'.

How about doing some work and isolating the part that you need the help with?

AND - if this is a wordpress thing, why haven't you posted it in the CMS forum?

PS - what is that second line supposed to be doing for you?

It is wordpress, yes. Thought this was for all php. Second line is the auction form that my users fill out for adding auction. I pasted the entire code because i know that the codes i need to implement have to go more places than one.

Edited by Friger

i am trying to learn php, but i find little, if any, explanations in what codes does what function.

WordPress has been pieced together through the years and with all of the plugins - it just makes it that much more difficult to follow the code. You need tools to properly work. You need an IDE with search capabilities. I use Eclipse, as I'm a throwback from Java, but I don't recommend it for PHP. I've read PhpStorm is good, but no first hand knowledge.

You're trying to follow someone else's code which is daunting for even a seasoned developer.

If you need help finding explanations on PHP functionality - it's everywhere. The best documented programming language in the world. Google any php method, language construct etc.. and you will get a link to the php manual. It will be your best friend.

Edited by hansford

the reason you are not getting the help you are expecting, is because what you are asking for is not programming help, but a full course on programming and then for someone to figure out what the 1000+ lines of code you have posted do and at least for someone else to find and tell you where in them you need to make the changes to accomplish what you want. that's not what help forums are able to do for you.

what we can do is, if you have narrowed down the problem to just a small section of code, made an honest attempt (not just randomly trying things) to make the change you want, tested and debugged the code you have changed, and cannot get it to work, then we can help you debug what's going on or what is needed.

if you are not already a good php programmer, so that you can even understand the code you are looking at, tackling a project that has this much code is not going to go well and it's also not going to be the best way of learning programming. you need to have a background in the programming language first, accomplishing small code projects before you jump in trying to make or change something like a wordpress plugin.

• Like 1

gotcha, i get all you are saying. I can read the codes, no problem. i have translated the entire thing and recognice where the codes go. and what they do. It is the codes i want to put into the strings i have a problem with. I have searched and read through alot of tutorials. And all i have found is not so explaining tbh. I have also downloaded a couple of other scripts to compare and see what is different. But as i expected, there is no file called "quantity"

So i am basicaly looking for tips for code i can try, and how to list them as refferences for whan the action array is needed.

btw - i visited the link that hansford posted. if this code is from that purchased script, it's likely copyrighted by the author and no part of it can be posted by you. i have hidden those posts in this thread.

now as to your change. if you are asking for the ability for someone to auction x of the same item, each one separately, its going to take changing more than a few lines of code to accomplish this as each one is actually a separate auction, with its own set of bids, its own winning bid, and winning bidder.

While wordpress is written using php it's created all sorts of it's own functions to use that is not directly related to php.

It takes people familiar with both wordpress codex and php to get what you want done.

A lot of times if you request a feature to the plugin developer they make additions.

The developer has the biggest advantage knowing what they did in creating the plugin. (It's not always obvious)

As mac_gyver said is a purchased script which means the creator would not want it published for free in any manner, this alone makes it difficult for anyone to assist you in a public forum.

Contacting the developer of that plugin is the step I would take with it if I was you.

Lets see if can try and answer some of your questions.

And i want to ad a quantity field for my auctions.

You would need to add a new field to store the results, or somehow query all results that specific field.

There may be a creation and select query in the plugin, it may be able to be obtained in a function, without seeing it completely is hard to say.

So it needs a extra field in setting up auctions ,the extra input in auctions page and some way of autoupdate in the auction itself.

Mentioned above about the additional field, possibly would need a new table associating users or items?

Autoupdate could be done by adding jquery or ajax to keep polling the current auction results.

Can i modify a inventory script to do this function or would it be easier to just implement it into the existing files?

Most people here would make their own script to do it all and not modify someone else's script let alone try to mingle two scripts and modify it.

What's easier? Something that you can accomplish.

Easier to me would be to find a script that does everything you need it to do, or as close as possible with minor modifications.

And where can i find the codes i need?

This statement here is why I suggest to contact the developer or visit the freelance section to hire someone who can do this.

It would be nice if can do it yourself, sometimes have to be realistic.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.