Is it a waste not declaring a length?

moose-en-a-gant

It'd be inefficient to use TEXT. Data for a TEXT column is stored separately from the main record, so when you need to read that data the database will first have to locate which records need to be read, then separately locate and read the actual value for a text column. VARCHAR/CHAR values are store in the main record directly so there is no need for that second read operation.

Essentially you should stick to VARCHAR and only use TEXT for values for which you want to allow an exceptionally large value. In modern Mysql versions a VARCHAR will work for up to 65535 bytes (subject to various conditions).

• Like 1

I'm still unclear on this,

If I only use 17 characters and I declared varchar(255) or anything more than 17 like varchar(30) is that a waste? Is that length allocated?

Should it be exact?

I don't know exactly the number that is generated from my passwordhashing with an array cost of 9, I think it is fixed I just haven't counted each one yet, could just paste it into a character counter but

if I use varchar(255) to be safe, is that fine or am I wasting space wtih the unused space?

See the page on Storage Requirements for the details of how data is stored and how much space is required for each data type.

VARCHAR(M), VARBINARY(M) L + 1 bytes if column values require 0 – 255 bytes, L + 2 bytes if values may require more than 255 bytes

So if you have a VARCHAR(30) but only store a 10-byte string, then the actual space required is 11 bytes (1 (length) + 10 (data)).

VARCHAR(255) is a good generic if you're not sure how long a particular string might be.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.