Saving an AJAX page

artacus

I am using Javascript to create the contents of a page (in this case a CSV file I want to save). If you've worked with Ajax for more than a day, you know that it modifies the DOM but the browser does not show those changes when you view source or, more important to me at the moment, save the page.

Is there some way to make the browsers save the Javascript changes instead of the original document?

I'm not aware of a way to do this and be able to view the source via the normal "view source" options.  However, one of the browsers (I swear it was FF), allows you to highlight the changes returned by AJAX and use "view selection source" or something similar.  That will show you the result.

Yeah, FF lets you see the changes if you use 'view selection source'. But can you imagine trying to walk your typical user thru that process?

Step 1. CTRL + A To select all
Step 2. CTRL + S To save
Step 3. Save as file  with CSV extension
Step 4. Find that file and open with excel

It would result in more work orders than it would be worth.

[quote author=ober link=topic=117356.msg479149#msg479149 date=1165340010]
... why would you want your user to view your source!?!  Why wouldn't you just present a csv file to them and let them click and download it? [/quote]

That's exactly what I WANT to do. But since my data is being generated by Javascript after the page loads, it will save the file as it existed BEFORE Javascript added the data.

Its looking like I'll end up doing it in PHP. I wanted to do it with Javascript because I've already done all of the work (well PHP/MySQL has) to generate an HTML table with possibly 1,000's of records. I didn't want to waste resources doing it over again when it was so easy to convert the table to CSV. *Sigh* You win some you lose some. I'm just not accustomed to losing.

Anytime... although I normally just have a script in a page like that that will delete any CSV files older than 15 or 30 min.  It's an easy script and works like a charm.  So the next time someone opens that page, it'll run that script.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.