Inserting line breaks

scavanaugh

I'm trying to get a mailing address to appear in a stacked format in my form mail email return.

The address is selected by the user from a drop down list then the form is submitted. It runs through a PHP form handler and is output as an HTML email.

I understand that something like this would possibly work, though it appears that there are a few variations.

$address = str_replace(",", ",\n", $_POST["shippingaddress"]);

The thing I'm really not sure about is where in the PHP form handler to insert this line of code?

Here's a link to the code for the form handler.

http://scavanaugh.com/TESTfm.txt

Any help with this is much appreciated.

You're outputting an html formatted email, so just use std. html to format your email. Use a <br> tag between the lines of the address - no?

I tried this and it didn't work

</li><label for="shippingaddress">Shipping Address</label><li>
           <li><select id="shipaddress" name="shippingaddress" dir="ltr" lang="en">
             <option>80 Allstate Parkway,<br /> Markham ON,<br /> L3R 6H3</option>
             <option>30 High Meadow, Toronto ON, M6L 2Z5</option>
             <option>4000 Victoria Park Avenue, Toronto ON, M2H 3P4 </option>

</select></li>

is there a way to replace the commas with line breaks?

Didn't he just say line breaks are not supported in SELECT lists? The existence or not of a comma has nothing to do with it. If you weren't including this content in an email, you could use JQuery to build a "custom" select list object to display it however you want. But, I am pretty certain you can't run JavaScript in an HTML email. If you absolutely need to display with line breaks, you would have to provide a link into the email to open the form in a web page.

Have you ever seen a list box with line feeds in it? Can't be done!

And - just why are you using a dropdown in an email? Is this going to be some kind of input to another script?

All I'm looking for is the Mailing address to appear in the email to the recipient like this

123 Maple St.

Nowhere

USA

Right now it gets emailed like this:

123 Maple St, Nowhere, USA

?

So, you don't want the address to be displayed in a select list - that is important information. Do you have code that creates the email or are you using some 3rd party script for the email?

You could start by using a separate value from the label for the options:

[coed]<li><select id="shipaddress" name="shippingaddress" dir="ltr" lang="en">

<option value="80 Allstate Parkway<br />Markham ON<br />L3R 6H3">80 Allstate Parkway, Markham ON, L3R 6H3</option>
    <option value="30 High Meadow, Toronto ON<br />M6L 2Z5">30 High Meadow, Toronto ON, M6L 2Z5</option>

<option value="4000 Victoria Park Avenue<br />Toronto ON<br />M2H 3P4">4000 Victoria Park Avenue, Toronto ON, M2H 3P4</option>[/code]

If you are using a 3rd party script to generate the emails, it will likely take more effort to find and modify the right code to work properly. But, if you wrote the code to generate the email, then show the lines that generate the content from the POSTed values.

So, you don't want the address to be displayed in a select list - that is important information. Do you have code that creates the email or are you using some 3rd party script for the email?

<option value="80 Allstate Parkway<br />Markham ON<br />L3R 6H3">80 Allstate Parkway, Markham ON, L3R 6H3</option>
    <option value="30 High Meadow, Toronto ON<br />M6L 2Z5">30 High Meadow, Toronto ON, M6L 2Z5</option>

<option value="4000 Victoria Park Avenue<br />Toronto ON<br />M2H 3P4">4000 Victoria Park Avenue, Toronto ON, M2H 3P4</option>[/code]

If you are using a 3rd party script to generate the emails, it will likely take more effort to find and modify the right code to work properly. But, if you wrote the code to generate the email, then show the lines that generate the content from the POSTed values.

Yeah I tried that already and it didn't change anything.

Hi I tried inserting <br /> as suggested but didn't work. I posted a link to the form handler code (3rd party code) in my first post, here it is again

http://scavanaugh.com/TESTfm.txt

Take a look if you like and let me know what you think.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.