foreach ($chars as $char) {
            $new_combinations[] = $combination . $char;
        }
    }

# call same function again for the next iteration
    return sampling($chars, $size - 1, $new_combinations);

}

// example
$chars = array('q', 'a', 'z', 'w', 's', 'x', 'e', 'd', 'c', 'r', 'f', 'v', 't', 'g', 'b', 'y', 'h', 'n', 'u', 'j', 'm', 'i', 'k', 'o', 'l', 'p', '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9', '0');
$output = sampling($chars, 5);

print_r($output);
?>

Hello,

I'm using the above function and I'm running out of memory (8 GB). Can someone please enhance this function. This function generates all possible 5 character combinations.

Edited by johnbb

There will be more than 60 million strings of that length. As you generate them, multiple copies of arrays are being held in memory: $combinations and $new_combinations. Add to that PHP's own overhead and I could see you running out of memory... though 8GB seems a bit too much.

What are you going to do with this array? Do you actually need all 60M combinations at once or will you work with them one at a time?

There will be more than 60 million strings of that length. As you generate them, multiple copies of arrays are being held in memory: $combinations and $new_combinations. Add to that PHP's own overhead and I could see you running out of memory... though 8GB seems a bit too much.

What are you going to do with this array? Do you actually need all 60M combinations at once or will you work with them one at a time?

I actually don't need them. I'm supposed to put 60466176 entries into a database and check db's size. I think, if I put 1 entry at a time into the db, the function won't run out of memory. However I felt that 8 GB should have sufficed 

VirtualAlloc() failed: [0x00000008] Not enough storage is available to process this command.

VirtualAlloc() failed: [0x00000008] Not enough storage is available to process this command.

PHP Fatal error:  Out of memory (allocated 908066816) (tried to allocate 805306376 bytes) in C:\Users\***\PhpstormProjects\ty\functions.php on line 21

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 908066816) (tried to allocate 805306376 bytes) in C:\Users\***\PhpstormProjects\ty\functions.php on line 21

Edited by johnbb

By my math that's 1.6GB, not 8GB.

If you don't need them all at once then generate them one at a time.

function sampling($chars, $size) {
	$base = count($chars);
	$limit = pow($base, $size);
	for ($i = 0; $i < $limit; $i++) {
		$combination = "";
		$n = $i;
		for ($j = 0; $j < $size; $j++) {
			$combination = $chars[fmod($n, $base)] . $combination;
			$n = floor($n / $base);
		}
		yield $combination;
	}
}
$chars = str_split('qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm1234567890');
$generator = sampling($chars, 5);

foreach ($generator as $combination) {
	// ...
}
You have to use a foreach on $generator because it will generate each combination as you need it. Not all at once.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.