pass variable from one file to another

mazinger

I'm trying to learn php from a book and one of the first examples is a simple form where the user enters a name and the name is displayed, all this is made on one file. I want to split it into two files, but can't get it to work. 

This is what I have on the first file where the form is. 

<html>
	<head>
		<title>Form Test</title>
	</head>
	<body>
		Your name is <?php echo $name ?> 
		<form method="post" action="formtest.php">
			What is your name
			<input type="text" name="name"/>
			<input type="submit"/>
		</form>
	</body>
</html>

This is the second file I created by taking the php out of the first file.  

<?php

if(isset($_POST['name']))
{
	$name = $_POST['name']; 
}
else
{

$name = "Enter a name"; 
}

require_once('formtest.php');
?>

The variable $name contains whatever the user typed into the form and I want that to be displayed but when I test it I get the following error message

Notice: Undefined variable: name in C:\xampp\htdocs\testing\formtest.php on line 7

Hopefully you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I know I could do this in one file but I want to see If I can do it in two separate files, thanks in advance for your help

I guess I should have specified the names of the files. 

The first file on my post is called formtest.php and the second one is called formtest-controller.php  

Are you saying I should reverse the names? 

Thanks for helping.  

You still need the require_once, but remember to change the filename.

The first file that executes (second code you posted) has the code for $name. That will be formtest.php. You can then use require_once to include the second file (first code you posted) which has the HTML.

After all of that I still get the same error, 

Notice: Undefined variable: name in C:\xampp\htdocs\testing\formtest.php on line 7

I used to get it as soon as the page loaded but now i get it after I enter the name.

Archived