how to convert to small caps

mramardeepsingh

hi friends
i want to know that how can i replace the entire content in <..............> tags.

for example
i have a code
<STRONG><I><B><FONT COLOR="red">Example Text</FONT></B></I></STRONG>

and i want to convert the html tags to small caps without converting the text i.e Example Text.

<STRONG> should be <strong>
<I> should be <i>
<FONT COLOR="red"> should be <font color="red">

but keeping the text i.e Example Text intact.
due to which i can't use strtolower.

please tell me how to convert the html tags into smallcaps.
what regular expression to use so that i get

<strong><i><b><font color="red">Example Text</b></i></font></strong>

thanks
please help

This almost works...

[code=php:0]<?php
// Test html code
$html = <<<HTML
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TiTlE>This is My Title</TITlE>
<body BG="Red">
This is Some Text
</body>
</HtML>
HTML;

// Regular expression
echo preg_replace("/(<.*?>)/e", "''.strtolower('$1').''", $html);
?>[/code]

The problem is that it escapes all the single and double quotes in the output.  Here's what it produces...

[code]<html>
<head>
<title>This is My Title</title>
<body bg=\"red\">
This is Some Text
</body>
</html>[/code]

But it's a start.

Regards
Huggie

Huggie, you've got to be careful with your solution, because it will also change any attribute values to lowercase, and when you're referencing a URL, javascript function or a class/id for CSS, case sensitivity is in play. It's a great start, but you'll want to parse a bit further and make sure that nothing within single or double quotes is changed as well.

[quote author=taith link=topic=118504.msg486148#msg486148 date=1166281972]
next question... html is non case specific, and if you just set your css/js to all lowercase too, who cares? or make the css/js seperate variables...
[/quote]

Because all lowercase in coding is very seldom best practice. When defining functions or other attributes of coding languages, there are often cases where camel-case (ie, myFunction) is the best practice. So, you never want to throw best practices out the window to work around a problem. You're much better off to find a solution that will work in conjunction with the best practices you have put in place. As for your comment about making the CSS and Javascript separate variables, I'm not sure I follow what you're after.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.