Marquee Issue - Display Entire Database

joe904

Hey Guys,

I am trying to fix a PHP page that I am coding for my job. Basically the functionality that I am looking for is a Marquee (Yes I understand the Marquee is done away with in HTML5. I haven't learned to use CSS instead yet) function where the names that I have in my database will scroll from bottom to top in the center of the page. I am a teacher and I am trying to set up a point system to display the points that my kids have earned. I have a MySQL database that has a few fields, such as student ID's, Names, etc. I want to connect my database and have the names and associating information scroll up one after the other on my website. I have some code that I found it online but it didi not work correctly. When it displayed, the entire database showed at once and then disappeared instead of scrolling one at a time. Yes I am a newby at this, so please have patience with me. I have searched online for an answer, and have not been able to find one. So I sdecided to try this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated.

<?php

$scrolling="true"; //Define if text is scrolling or Still

//Config
$db_host="localhost";
$db_name="swap";
$db_user="root";
$db_pass="pass";

// Check connection
if (mysqli_connect_errno())
{
echo "Failed to connect to MySQL. Make sure to edit the config.php file: " . mysqli_connect_error();
}
$result = mysqli_query($con,"SELECT * FROM students ORDER BY studentId ASC ");
while($swap = mysqli_fetch_array($result))
{
if ($scrolling == "true"){
//Scrolling Text
?>

<html> <h1 class="marquee"><span><b><?php echo $swap['studentId'];?> <?php echo $swap['first_name'];?></b><?php echo $swap['last_name']; ?><</html>

<?php }
else { //Not Scrolling Text
?><b><?php
echo $swap['studentId'];
?>
</b>:
<?php echo $swap['last_name'];
}
}

?>

First you have to fix your HTML markup.

Taking what you have there as a reference, you need to create this:

<html>
<body>

<div class="marquee">
	<h1>ID: NAME</h1>
</div>

</body>
</html>
Can you do that? Note that the only part of that HTML that is being repeated (ie, needs to be in a loop) is the H1s. Everything else is plain HTML around it.

Archived