Php script help

Ayush123

PHP script that provides a basic web-page asking for a date. That date is then used to get the log file for that date from a directory containing many log files (one for each date). If the log file exists, then it is downloaded; otherwise, the script returns with "No logs for that date".

So if you want to take a user's input of a valid date value and convert it to a text string to build the filename do this:

$input_val = '12/01/22';	// sample value
if ($dv = strtotime($input_val))
{
	$filename = date('m-d-y', $dv) . '.txt';
	echo "For input of $input_val filename will be $filename<br>";
}
else
	echo "Invalid date input: $input_val<br>";

Then you use the value created above ($filename) and do a search of your log folder like this:

if (is_file($log_folder.$filename))
	echo "Filename is in log<br>";
else
	echo "Filename $log_folder$filename not found in log<br>";

3 minutes ago, ginerjm said:

So if you want to take a user's input of a valid date value and convert it to a text string to build the filename do this:

$input_val = '12/01/22';	// sample value
if ($dv = strtotime($input_val))
{
	$filename = date('m-d-y', $dv) . '.txt';
	echo "For input of $input_val filename will be $filename<br>";
}
else
	echo "Invalid date input: $input_val<br>";

Then you use the value created above ($filename) and do a search of your log folder like this:

if (is_file($log_folder.$filename))
	echo "Filename is in log<br>";
else
	echo "Filename $log_folder$filename not found in log<br>";

thanks, 

hope i dont confuse you.

so, lets say i ahve a directory with files. i just need to get the files for the user specified date, maybe using filemtime(). then if it exists download it 

sorry i am new to this, not as 

5 minutes ago, ginerjm said:

You said you wanted to use the date to identify the file by name.  Now you are mentioning filemtime.  Why?  That is not what you first said.

sorry i am new to this, not as smart as you thats why i am asking for help. the best i can say is, i need to download files with the date provided by the user from a directory. i dont know how to simplify what i am asking

You showed us a sample filename that used a date value as part of its name.  Isn't that how you want to identify files that your user wants to download?  The filemtime function reads the date saved as part of the directory entry that represents the date/time of the last file change which isn't always visible.

Step back and think about what you want to do. If it is the former I think I have given you the code to do that mostly.  At least the identification part.

You showed us a sample filename that used a date value as part of its name.  Isn't that how you want to identify files that your user wants to download?  The filemtime function reads the date saved as part of the directory entry that represents the date/time of the last file change which isn't always visible.

Step back and think about what you want to do. If it is the former I think I have given you the code to do that mostly.  At least the identification part.

thanks for the help. sorry for the confussion

While you are re-thinking this....   There are 3 functions related to the file date - filemtime, fileatime & filectime.  Which one is the most important to your project?  And how will you be sure that you are downloading the correct file since you could have many files having the same date/time value?

While you are re-thinking this....   There are 3 functions related to the file date - filemtime, fileatime & filectime.  Which one is the most important to your project?  And how will you be sure that you are downloading the correct file since you could have many files having the same date/time value?

thanks for still sticking around.

filectime is the one i need to use. if there are multiple files with the same date, i will need to download all the file.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.