Total count as well as total per client

Adamhumbug
Go to solution Solved by mac_gyver,

Hi All,

I fear this may be very simple but i have been struggling a little with it - brain fog.

I am running the following query:

SELECT client.id, company_name, country, DATE_FORMAT(date_created, '%d %M %Y') as date_created, sum(total_value) as tval
            from client
            inner join quote on client.id = quote.client_id

but i also want to do a count of everything that is in the total_value column so i end up with a number per client and a total of everything.

Any pointers appreciated.

• Solution

you would add GROUP BY client.id to the query to get a SUM() per client. in fact, if your database was set to STRICT mode, you would be getting an  error with the current query about using an aggerate function without a GROUP BY term.

then, if you want both the SUM() per client and the grand total, you can add WITH ROLLUP to the end of the GROUP BY ... term.

2 hours ago, mac_gyver said:

you would add GROUP BY client.id to the query to get a SUM() per client. in fact, if your database was set to STRICT mode, you would be getting an  error with the current query about using an aggerate function without a GROUP BY term.

then, if you want both the SUM() per client and the grand total, you can add WITH ROLLUP to the end of the GROUP BY ... term.

Amazing, that is absolutely what i was looking for but does lead me on to another question.

As i am wanting to show on each row what percentage of the overall total each client makes up i would need to do something different with the rollup as currently it adds another row to the table.

Any suggestions on how to deal with that?