On duplicate key update always inserting new row

Adamhumbug
Go to solution Solved by Barand,

Hi All,

I have a php function to insert data into my database which works fine but i want to update the record using the same button and have thus used on duplicate key update.

if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST') {
    if (isset($_POST['createNewQuote'])) {

$sql = 
        "INSERT into quote (name, internal_ref, currency, kit_delivery, kit_return, job_id) 
        values (:name, :internal_ref, :currency, :kit_delivery, :kit_return, :jobId)
        ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE
        name=:name
        ";
        $stmt = $pdo->prepare($sql);
        $stmt->execute([
            ':name' => $_POST['quoteName'],
            ':internal_ref' => $_POST['internalReference'],
            ':currency' => $_POST['currency'],
            ':kit_delivery' => $_POST['kitDeliveryDate'],
            ':kit_return' => $_POST['kitCollectionDate'],
            ':jobId' => $_POST['jobId']
        ]);
    }
}

The issue that i have is that everytime i click the save button that triggers this function, i am getting a new row in the database created - is there something obvious i am doing wrong?

I have attached the structure just in case that helps

Screenshot2023-08-17at21_16_13.png.633f734ac2ed07a3e339c3f64de117ec.png

• Solution

You should be getting a mysql error - you have 7 placeholders but only passing 6 values in the execute. The way you have defined it you need to pass the $_POST['quotename'] twice.

A better way is

ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE
        name=VALUES(name)

telling it to use the same value as in the VALUES clause. The you only need provide the name once.

As for your problem, what has to be duplicated to throw a duplicate key error? Your id will be auto_incremented so that won't be duplicated.

2 minutes ago, Barand said:

You should be getting a mysql error - you have 7 placeholders but only passing 6 values in the execute. The way you have defined it you need to pass the $_POST['quotename'] twice.

A better way is

ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE
        name=VALUES(name)

telling it to use the same value as in the VALUES clause. The you only need provide the name once.

As for your problem, what has to be duplicated to throw a duplicate key error? Your id will be auto_incremented so that won't be duplicated.

Thats my issue right there - i was relying on the primary key (id) - i didnt realise that it would automatically increment when using this method.