Count links on a page, sort them and grade them.

guymclarenza

This function is not working but I need some addd info from the function, Assume $content is populated, I want to count outbound links, ie links going to another website and internal links those staying on the website but going to another page. I also want to list said links by outbount and internal with link text and url.,  It would also be nice if I could at the same time fail or pass link text if neccessary,  If linktext is "click here" or something equally non descriptive it would be marked with a red cross, or green tick if good,

Why is this not working? and how do I make the neccessary changes to the script to add the functionality

function checkLinksForDescriptiveText($content) {
    // Example: Check links for descriptive link text
    preg_match_all('/<a [^>]*href=["\']([^"\']+)["\'][^>]*>([^<]+)<\/a>/i', $content, $links);

$total_links = count($links[1]);
    $descriptive_links = 0;

foreach ($links[2] as $linkText) {
        $linkText = strip_tags($linkText);
        if (strlen($linkText) > 0 && strlen($linkText) < 50) {
            $descriptive_links++;
        }
    }

return [$total_links, $descriptive_links];
}

• 2 weeks later...

This function parses the input using an HTML 4 parser. The parsing rules of HTML 5, which is what modern web browsers use, are different. Depending on the input this might result in a different DOM structure. Therefore this function cannot be safely used for sanitizing HTML.

As an example, some HTML elements will implicitly close a parent element when encountered. The rules for automatically closing parent elements differ between HTML 4 and HTML 5 and thus the resulting DOM structure that DOMDocument sees might be different from the DOM structure a web browser sees, possibly allowing an attacker to break the resulting HTML.

Seems like that is not a fantastic option

On 11/20/2023 at 5:40 AM, guymclarenza said:

This function parses the input using an HTML 4 parser. The parsing rules of HTML 5, which is what modern web browsers use, are different. Depending on the input this might result in a different DOM structure. Therefore this function cannot be safely used for sanitizing HTML.

What function are you talking about?