New hard drive - installing windows???

chiprivers

I am replacing the hard drive on my kids PC - I have been given quite an old PC which I am going to remove the hard drive from to replace in my kids PC cos the current one is corrupted.  The PC I have been given has got only a 5GB hard drive, is this enough for installing windows, MS word and a couple of other small apps and leave enough room for them to save few bits of home work on??

Also, I have got the recovery CDs for the current computer, would windows be on these? If I put the new hard drive into the PC and run the recovery CDs will it set up the computer with windows etc ??

[quote author=thorpe link=topic=120075.msg492342#msg492342 date=1167260501]
I doupt 5g is big enough for windows, well it wont run too well anyway.

Also, no. Recovery disks will not build a new windows install. You will need the windows disk.
[/quote]

Windows was pre installed on the computer so I assumed that it would be on the recovery CD's! when I have done a full reset before I have just used the recovery CD's and that has reinstalled windows!

I have a [i]recovery[/i] (yes, it says so on the dvd's label) disc for my desktop computer that formats everything and reinstalls Windows on it. It uses Norton Ghost or something like that. With my laptop there is a "hidden" partition on one of the harddisks where the installation/recovery files are on, so I assume that if that partition is deleted I will not be able to reinstall/recover. My laptop and desktop are from the same manufacturer. You will have to find out how your manufacturer did with your computer.

With my PC, the manufacturer (PB) refers to the CD's as master discs! They did not actually come supplied, everything was preinstalled but it kept flashing up with an option to make some masters CD's so I did.  This tales up two CD's, is that likely to be a recovery application only, or could it also include windows?

If windows is installed in a partition on my old harddrive, can I extract it to the new one some how?

[quote author=chiprivers link=topic=120075.msg492482#msg492482 date=1167296189]
If windows is installed in a partition on my old harddrive, can I extract it to the new one some how?
[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not. If your harddrive is corrupted I doubt you can. I guess you would have to ask your manufacturer how it works. Else just buy a Windows CD.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.