voting counter

corillo181

i was wokring on a code for a voting poll i thought this would work but it doesn't do nothing at all

is there something wrong with this code or i'm not even close?

[code]<a href="siteroot"?vote=yes">vote</a>[/code]

[code] <?php
$getcounter=mysql_query("SELECT counter FROM tra_music_top10 WHERE artist_id='$artist_id'")or die(mysql_error());

$count=mysql_fetch_array($getcounter);

if(!$count['counter']){
echo 0;
}else{
$i=$count['counter'];
if($_GET['vote']){
$voted=($i+1);
if(!$count){
$istvote=mysql_query("INSERT into tra_music_top10(artist_id,counter)VALUES('$arstist_id,'1')")or die (mysql_error());
}else{
$update=mysql_query("UPDATE tra_music_top10 SET counter='$voted'")or die(mysql_error());
}

}
}
?>[/code]

All you've done with this code is to set a variable with the contents of your query.  You haven't actually run the query.  Maybe change the last part of your code like this:

[code]
<?php
if (!$count) {
  $res_query = mysql_query("INSERT into tra_music_top10(artist_id,counter)VALUES('$arstist_id,'1')");
}
else {
  $res_query = mysql_query("UPDATE tra_music_top10 SET counter='$voted'");
}
if (!$res_query) {
  //there was an unsuccessful query, so you could display a custom message here or use mysql_error()
}
else {
  //you actually don't need the else, but you could use this for a "success" message
}

?>
[/code]

i tried that but it doens't wokr i tried it with a submit bottom but it doesn't work ither

[code]<form action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];?>" method="post">
      <label>
      <input name="Submit" type="submit" class="vote" value="Vote">
      </label>
    </form>[/code]

<?php

$getcounter=mysql_query("SELECT counter FROM tra_music_top10 WHERE artist_id='$artist_id'")or die(mysql_error());

$count=mysql_fetch_array($getcounter);

if(!$count['counter']){
echo 0;
}else{
$i=$count['counter'];
echo $i;
}

if($_POST['Submit']){
$voted=($i+1);

$update=mysql_query("UPDATE tra_music_top10 SET counter='$voted'")or die(mysql_error());

if(!$update){
$newrecord=mysql_query("INSERT into tra_music_top10(artist_id,counter)VALUES('$artist_id','1')")or die(mysql_error());
}
}

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.