Quick members area

Go to solution Solved by M.O.S. Studios,

Hey Everyone,

I own a business (unrelated to programming). To make my life easier I made some php apps that automate some of the paperwork I have to do. Does any one know a good framework that will allow me to put these behind a username and password?

ideally, it would be something really simple to use. I want to avoid having to learn all the intricacies of something like drupal.

In my mind, I picture a software that I install, put all my files in one directory, and those files now can only be accessed though this software .

any thoughts? 

How simple and how user-friendly do you want it? You can configure your web server to do authentication with a simple list of usernames and passwords, but it's not a fancy solution: you have to manage the list yourself, and the authentication prompt is very plain.

The username is available to PHP, if you want to do something with it after the authentication happens.

• Solution
54 minutes ago, requinix said:

How simple and how user-friendly do you want it? You can configure your web server to do authentication with a simple list of usernames and passwords, but it's not a fancy solution: you have to manage the list yourself, and the authentication prompt is very plain.

The username is available to PHP, if you want to do something with it after the authentication happens.

Fancy isn't important as I am the only one using it.

However easy is ideal.

I was thinking of using htaccess, htpasswd, .htaccess. I have never used those before, but I think they will be pretty simple to set up.

My only concern is that I use Ajax to reference other pages, and I am worry that will interfere 

19 minutes ago, requinix said:

htaccess/htpasswd stuff works as part of the HTTP protocol, much like cookies. Same-domain AJAX shouldn't know or care that it's happening.

Ah, so if I log in on one page, and make a Ajax call to another page; it should work?

Even if the link is an absolute address like https://myodomain/page.php opposed to page.php?

"Absolute address" is just you explicitly telling the browser what you want instead of letting it fill in the blanks itself. There's no difference between an absolute URL and a relative URL if they're both referring to the same resource.