Basics of sql is easy, but how did you learn advanced sql? How did you started tinkering with data?

oslon

Problem is I've no data to tinker with. No meaningful data i mean. One dataset that I have is jira(scrum). I use SQL on it and write my report, that's all. Is there anything else meaningful data that I can get where I can tinker stuffs? I am stuck in this phase where I am unable to find any data to tinker with. I am unable to find solid exercises to help me in my learnngs. Or maybe I am looking at the wrong things.

1. How did you learn advanced SQL?
    With practice.
  2. How did you start tinkering with data?
    By designing and building databases to support applications I needed to develop, then developing them using the database.
  3. Problem is I've no data to tinker with.
    Then create some.

(See tutorials link in my signature)

On 6/8/2024 at 9:43 PM, oslon said:

So, let me ask you, how do you create entire database on your own? Unless you use chatgpt to do it. I mean meaningful data. 

In addition to Barand's excellent tutorial, which you should take advantage of,  there are any number of sample databases you can use.  If you're learning MySQL, there are several reference database schemas.  There's an employee schema and "Salika" which is a fairly well fleshed out DVD rental schema.

Here's a page that documents these and a few others for MS SQL for students of a Nanyang Tech University:  https://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/ehchua/programming/sql/SampleDatabases.html

A little bit of googling will find you many many more.