[SOLVED] Compiling C code

fert

I'm using Ubuntu linux and i'm trying to compile a C code file using gcc, but when i try to do it i get these errors
[quote]
os.c: In function ‘main’:
os.c:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘printf’
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
[/quote]
as far as i can tell i've done everything right

Well, it doesn't really get much simpler does it? And funnilly enough, there is nothing wrong with your code.

Compiles fine here on Gentoo with GCC 4.1.1, and on Debian using GCC 3.3.5.

ld refers to Linux's standard linker which is part of binutils. Im not sure, but installing/ reinstalling binutils may help.

PS; Im not that sure that Ubuntu is really much of a choice when it comes to building apps.

fert, can you try a few other common functions?  Like puts() or fprintf()?

Also, can you give the full output, from the command executed through to the error messages?  The error messages in your first post don't match the command line in the later post.  This makes me less confident that I am getting all the necessary information.  Even seemingly unimportant things can make the difference.

Im pretty sure this is an Ubuntu issue. By default I don't think its setup to compile anything. though I would have thought it would be dragged in as a dep of gcc, you might try (re)installing the C libraries.

[code]
apt-get install glibc
[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.