Handling files

urosh

Hi all, i am new with PHP, and i would like to know if it is possible to use one file by two different functions at the same time. That is, one function will read information from the top of the file, while second function will add information on the bottom of the file. Second function is much faster in its job so ther is no problem that first function will come to the end of the file before second function finish its work.

Is this possible, or i need to break the file into more files that will be approached by only one function at the time?

Thanks in advance
Urosh

Litle clarification. Actually these two functions are two executables. First executable put some information into the file, while second one reads information from the file, and do some work. As second executable is much slower, idea is to try to save some time, by getting available information as soon as it is available. If anyone have an idea if that is possible?

I am trying to run two executables at the same time, by forking processes it should be possible? Andif it is possible, i want them to use the same file at the same time, that is one to read from the file, one to write to the file.

What you're asking can be done with PHP in a *nix environment outside of a webserver.  A quick google search yielded this site: http://www.electrictoolbox.com/article/php/process-forking/ which might be of help to you.  Honestly though, PHP probably isn't the best solution I think you'd be better off with a language that supports threading i.e., Java.

Best,

Patrick

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.