[SOLVED] Common PHP errors

papaface

What I have always done since the beginning of my coding, is when I have an error, i take out my specific variables in the warning I receive so that it becomes more vague, and I type that into google or whatever search engine i want.  There you can usually find some answers, and with more indepth research you find more answers..  In the future, when you have an error, if you cannot find it in a search and you cannot degub / trobleshoot it yourself, come here and post the specific error.  But please, take some time to code, get an error, and research it first.

You will have to look at the source code, as there is no clear documentation that describes all the errors. As of PHP 5.1.4 there was (4887) core functions and (11,211) different errors strings that could result from those functions returning errors!

printf

A list of common errors could be derived on your own while coding a website.  So if you want said list, start coding, and as a n00bie coder, you will find all kinds of new errors which in turn you can troubleshoot and debug.  This preventative coding style you are trying to take does not work, not even if you have the greatest memory ever can you without experience code perfectly and prevent errors from arising.  So I suggest to you, whatever it is you are trying to code, do it and see if you get errors.  Once you get an error, research it, and if that fails, come back here and ask about the specific error.

Why is everyone assuming i need to find a list of errors because i need to find out what is causing an error im my script!
I'm simply asking for a website that has summerised the most basic php errors. That is it in its totality.

Thank you for your replies, but please im asking for something your not reading my question.

Please tell me this then:
A.) Are you actually trying to code something?

or

B.) Are you doing a report on a subject you know nothing about?

or

C.) Trying to annoy us and waste our time with a question that was answered to the best of its ability without further specification qas to why you need such a list?

A.) Are you actually trying to code something?

No

B.) Are you doing a report on a subject you know nothing about?

No -  I know a lot about PHP. I have been helping out on this forum for a while.

C.) Trying to annoy us and waste our time with a question that was answered to the best of its ability without further specification qas to why you need such a list?

You are not answering my question at all. Please move along as you quite clearly do not understand my question.

My question is.
Is there a website that can summerise COMMON PHP errors so I dont have to write pages on them?

How bout this..No not that I have ever seen in existance.

But hey, perhaps you can be the first to make one..  Yea how bout you code and code and make as many errors as you can, and store them all in a db and make a site such as what you are looking for.

Then...You'll be like hey is there a site...oh yea, I made one! OMGOSH!

magic

as much as i hate to against you man, magic is right. If your having an error with your script post it here, or do your research. The reason there is no actual list is because not only are there too many errors, but there are also different people in different situations. and no awesome If and else statements can make a directory with basic errors like that. I highly suggest you refer to the manual they often say stuff like, "if you get an error like this, it means you have to.....". Trust me when i say this....a programmer only has three friends:
google, the php manual, and chuck norris.

HoTDaWg

IMO now that I look at it...I believe that dev is wanting to know if there is anything like that so that he can go and start making something like that of his own..He wanted to say it without saying it so that we didn't steal his idea I believe.  Don't worry, corner that market on your own, lol, although a team is suggested for a pain in the ass project like that.  :)

Sorry you are wrong. I was just interested if there was a list out there because some people on my msn contact list get these errors and i am sick of explaining to them what is causing it. So i thought if there is a site that explains it, it would be a lot easier to send them to the site. Thats it.

[quote author=devnerds link=topic=121404.msg499182#msg499182 date=1168206521]
Ironically thank you magic2goodil

As for HoTDaWg you still didnt read my question. I have no use for the common error list in helping ME with a script.
I am an experienced coder, wondering if there is any list currently out there.

Thanks
[/quote]Why don't you just look back on your experience and make a list out of errors you've made? And put that list on your site? Including the solutions, of course.

Good luck dev.  And in the future..please just specify why...? Would help in resolving the problem.  I know in your eyes that piece of information didn't matter, but you were asking a question to someone that piece of info did matter to.  I had a gf that withheld info like that because she thought it didn't matter even on the simplest things in our relationship and it drove me nutty which is why we are not together now..so i hope u understand my impatience with you when u would not explain why..

I think the point here is that he's looking for something that already exists. It's about saving effort and time. It may very well not be worth his time and effort to create a website of his own. Surely it's not that difficult an idea to understand.

And devnerds: Please, in the future, let us know what you're trying to do. It would have eliminated about 50% of the useless posts in this thread.

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=121404.msg499214#msg499214 date=1168207475]
And devnerds: Please, in the future, let us know what you're trying to do. It would have eliminated about 50% of the useless posts in this thread.
[/quote]
i agree.
HoTDaWg

whoops.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.