php based chat system

Ninjakreborn

Does anyone have advice on a good chat program made in PHP.
I googled all day yesterday, tried a few, but they didn't work.  Installation areas, no documentation.  Some of them would have required hours of repair to get working since they weren't being mantained.  Then I tried sourceforge, and went through 3-4 but nothing fit, or barely worked.
I need a simple php based chat program, but still some advanced capabilities, even if I have to mod a few of them in.  I need to be able to track, and record the conversations, have people be able to search conversations, among other things.  Any advice would be appreciated, this came from lack of looking, I checked google, sourceforge, hot scripts, I haven't ran into anything substantial.
If you google php chat rooms, the first is phpopenchat, I tired it, busted up installation, and lot's of problems, not worth the time to fix all it's problems.  Any advice is appreciated.

whoops.  Hit the post instead of preview...

anyways.. what I'm getting at is that it would probably be easier for you to look for a chatroom program with a php backend if you looked for js or flash based chatrooms, rather than searching for "php" chatrooms. Because as you know, php is not really well suited for 'real time' programs.

Yes, right now, I was looking at one that was done in flash.  However when I paid the page didn't redirect, I had to email him, that one will hopefully do it.
I tried finding flash based ones, because I don't know flash itself, but now I know a little amount of actionscript incase, if I needed to make modifications.  I also have a flash designer if I need him, but for right now, I don't know anything but general theories about java, and don't have anyone on call for that.
Flash based chatrooms then is what I am looking for, do you know of any one's, (not speculation), but are there any you have actually, or anyone, has actually used before.

Well the one I payed for so far, was suppose to use ajax/flash, with a php/mysql backend.  The only thing is it didn't redirect me, it was only 10 dollars, totalchat or something, he had other stuff on there, but I don't know flash well enough to put something together.  So I thought about going third party, everything free sucked so I had to look at something that costs money, hopefully if anyone has a suggestion too, that would help,because I never know if there support email will ever get back to me or not.

There really is nothing.

I am confused. I went through every result off of source forge, chat, ajax, php/mysql, everyone I could find.  None of them worked, or they had errors, or they just didn't fit.

I tried everyone on google I can find, there has to be someone here, who used a solid chat program at some point.

If you could that would be great, my last active option is the one on sweet php, if that one doesn't work, I feel as if I have scoured 10% of the chatrooms on hte internet (not ones on "hidden" websites that I couldn't find, but all the first 5-10 pages on google, source forge, and hotscripts.

I hate chatrooms with a passion.
My last current option (the total chatrooms, fell thruogh.
I spent 20 minutes installing it, session, and mysql errors all over hte place.
I had to manually go in and build the database myself

then default admin wouldn't work, had to manually create that.

Then it's broken to hell, broken layout, broken functionality, logging me out of the thing every 2 minutes.

On top of that I can't create user's, on top of that, for some reason mysql itself keeps throwing me some strange error about session headers already sent (PHP itself, or mysql is sending me this error).  This is been one really, really, really bad day.

http://www.tufat.com/download.php

That was why the damn thing wasn't working.

I have to transfer the file's in Binary format.  I never have dealt with this, what do I need to do.
Is there a way to transfer data binary in dreamweaver, or do I need another ftp program, if so which one (I know the whole list in ftp in the sticky), but does any of those 100% do binary FTP as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.