Looking For book on good web design

fixxxer

Hey,

Ive been learning php and have built several very bad sites and while i feel my php coding is improving all the time, i struggle with actual web site design. Not the appearance of the site but the actual design process. As ive had no formal training, i dont how to plan a website from scratch i tend to start a website and then constantly think of things to add, and forget things.

Im looking for a book that shows how to design a website. things like flow charts etc.. it doesn't have to be specific to php but id like to get an idea of how a website is designed by professionals.

Can anyone offer some advice. Even a tutorial off the net might help

thanks.

There is probably a book that combines these topics, but I don't know of one.

1) OOP in PHP
2) UML (most importantly class diagrams)
3) Design Patterns

There are several resources on these subjects in the sticky.

A book I like on topic 3 (after the obligatory GoF & PoEAA): "php|architect's Guide to PHP Design Patterns".

[quote author=448191 link=topic=122793.msg513768#msg513768 date=1169797245]
There is probably a book that combines these topics, but I don't know of one.

1) OOP in PHP
2) UML (most importantly class diagrams)
3) Design Patterns

[/quote]

Matt Zandstra's book [url=http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=358]PHP 5 Objects, Patterns, and Practice[/url] is pretty good on this subject. Some of the design pattern chapters are quite dry so you might want to take a look at [url=http://www.phparch.com/shop_product.php?itemid=96]PHP Architect's book[/url], or [url=http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/hfdesignpat/]Head First Design Patterns[/url] - aimed at java but applies to php.

Before you bury yourself in nitty-gritty details, ask yourself a few questions (and answer them as well):

#1 - why do I want the web site (if you can't answer this, then you're finished)
#2 - what do I want the web site to do (if you can't answer this, then forget OOP, xml, and the rest of the alphabet soup)
#3 - what do I need to entice people to visit to do whatever it is I want them to do here?
#4 - where have I seen something like that, or even vaguely like that?

Now start surfing looking at sites that do the sort of thing you want to do. Take notes. Other sites will have done things that strike you as a brilliant idea and things that strike you as redundant crap.  Analyse your notes.

Now you know why and what ... the how is up to you (but pencil and paper never hurts as a starting point).

Just look around the web at sites you frequent the most and look at the layout, color scheme, etc. Obviously don't copy the website but look at its key features that stick out to you and make it look good. If you want some more information, drop me an IM or something.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.