open source licensing

chiprivers

I have written a very basic applciation to make simple a job we do at my work and it makes use of PHP and MySQL.  Problem is that they do not currently have a web server set up with PHP and MySQL.

I told them that it was no problem as you can obtain Apache, PHP and MySQL free as it is open source.  The it bod told me that despite this there was still licensing implications and they could not do it?

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

There shouldnt be any licencing issue with setting up a lamp server.....thats the entire point!

It may be that as an IT bod he will have to support it, if he doesnt know linux or apache. . . .

Ask them if they have an iis server you could use. PHP support is, I beleive free from microsoft.

Cheers,

Andy

Depending on whether your boss etc. knows anything or not, or whether they dont want to hear open-source solutions.

MySQL has certain restrictions. Postgres is totally free and open.

As far as Im aware - its perfectly ok to setup a LAMP server in production and to use it for YOUR OWN purposes.
If you started SELLING LAMP as part of your software - embedding MySQL - then there may be issues.

But if its just for a mundane task at work - it should be fine.

P.S. look at "Easy Php" or some other packages which bundle all 3 together.

-steve
-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.