ul for naviagtion and 100% width

ToonMariner

Hi guys,

I need a little help.

Here is my html for a horizontal navigation bar.

[code]
<div id="topnav">
<ul>
<li class="live" id="topnavfirst"><a href="/home" title="Home" accesskey="h">Home</a></li>
</ul>
</div>
[/code]

OK that is easy enough.....

This is going through a cms so the client will be able to add/remove elements of the navigation.

What I need is the list elements to fill the width avialable regardless of the number of elements.

so just 1 li will be full width, 2 half the width, 3 third and so on.

I hope I explained that ok. What I need is some css that will accomplish this - many thanks in advanced.

As far as I know, you can't do it with CSS alone, you need a little javascript.  You can do it like this:

[code]
<script type="text/javascript">
function set_size(list) {
var nodes = document.getElementById(list).getElementsByTagName("LI");
var percent = 100 / nodes.length;
for(var i = 0; i < nodes.length; i++) {
nodes[i].style.width = percent + "%";
}
}
</script>

<style type="text/css">
ul {
width: 100%;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
background-color: #ccc;
}

li {
width: 100%;
list-style: none;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
display: block;
float: left;
background-color: #eee;
}
</style>
[/code]

in your html

[code]
<body onload="set_size('list');">
[/code]

the actual list

[code]

<ul id="list">
<li>Testing 1</li>
<li>Testing 2</li>
<li>Testing 3</li>
<li>Testing 4</li>
</ul>
[/code]

Not sure if there is a better way to do it, but I did test it and it works fine.

hmmmmmmm

I don't like the idea of using js just to get the layout - think I will just let them be as wide as they want and run into the next line when neccessary.

Thank you for your response though - I will keep this for a later date as the client doesn't want any js on this site. I will use it on a different site where it can sit happily safe in teh knowledge that no-body cares if its there or not.

Cheers.

I know most people hate to use tables right now (CSS only approach) but tables can come in handy a lot of times.

You're issue can be solved if you put the navigation in a table with 100% width. You're client won't even know the difference if you use tables or lists, as long as it look like what he wants.

Otherwise, I assume you're use PHP to generate the menu. Just get the number of links that you have, and divide it by 100% using PHP. Finally, assign the output to the list items.

The worst thing that happens if JS is disabled is that the list iteself will still be 100% but each item will not span the full width.  I don't understand the concept of wanting each link to be so big in the first place. I will just make the UL span 100% and let each list item be fixed or padded around the text...

I'm sure you can do something with PHP to get the desired effect, but seems like a lot of extra work for something so trivial.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.