DoS

rantsh

[me=steviewdr]just found out today that mod_throttle is not available for apache2 :-([/me]

Aparently there is mod_throttle which throttles apache and cgi processes. mod_bandwith is another one. I think apache2 has mod_cband - however its only for bandwith.

Anways.

-steve

best way is to stick the server behind some kind of hardware firewall, but expencive.  Cisco PIX is the best ive found, even there lower range, but come with a hefty price!

Also usefull to have a second network card, on diffrent subnet, (idealy a non public IP) so you can still get to your server durin a DoS attack.

the_oliver: Xen can indeed run completely independant servers off one piece of hardware.

Basically - there is dom0 and domU. dom0 is the base Linux OS. Several domU's (guest os's) can run then on top of dom0. Typically there is nothing but xend and sshd running on dom0 - so its bullet proof. dom0 can then be used to control/console reboot/powerdown etc. etc. any of the domU's. If you have only 1 external ip address, dom0 can route the netconnections from the domU's, or each domU can have its own independant LAN and ip.

You can also take a look at VMWare. Their vmware server offering is also free - and will allow you to run a Virtual Windows os either if thats what your looking for.

Rgds,
steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.