php debuggers and obfuscators

dexhaven

I am going to be beginning my first real PHP project this evening.  I like the idea of having a development environment that will allow me to step through the PHP code.  What are my options and what do YOU recommend?

My am also going to be selling this code as packaged software so I will need to obfuscate it.  I see that there are numerous options from free to about $800.  Are there any major short comings to the free ones which I need keep in mind during development so that they can be a candidate or am I simply better off with a commercial version?  Which do you recommend?

Dexter

There are quite alot of shortcomings with the products. I have seen quite a few instances where someone found their code "nulled" even though they had encoded it with a commercial encoder and thought it was safe.
Even commercial encoders will sometimes do nothing to actually protect your code but will look secure because they will aesthetically obscure the code quite a lot. (changing variable names, base64 encoding etc.)

The best editor I have ever used is Textpad.

Not to be rude, but this is your first PHP project, and you're planning on selling it?
Okay, but you don't NEED to obfuscate it. Plenty of php programs are sold without being obscured. File for a copyright for $30 instead of wasting your money on those programs.

[quote author=jesirose link=topic=124750.msg517340#msg517340 date=1170186303]
The best editor I have ever used is Textpad.[/quote]Is this to day that you never use a debugger to step through your code?  This has always been the way I have worked with PHP in the past, but coming from C/C++ and .Net, things move MUCH faster when I can step through the code.  Which is why I am looking for such a tool.
[quote author=jesirose link=topic=124750.msg517340#msg517340 date=1170186303]Not to be rude, but this is your first PHP project, and you're planning on selling it?
Okay, but you don't NEED to obfuscate it. Plenty of php programs are sold without being obscured. File for a copyright for $30 instead of wasting your money on those programs.[/quote]I could see where one might say that, but the PHP is only a small part of my kiosk software, but an important part which I would like to keep under wraps.  On the other hand, if there is no good reliable way to obfuscate it, then so be it, I will find other ways to work around things <grin>.

Dexter

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.