Takeover

dustinnoe

I will be taking over this site in the near future in order to add dynamic content and gain user interest.  I value the input of folks on this board and would like to hear the ideas you have by taking a quick look at it.

[url=http://www.centralalive.org]http://www.centralalive.org[/url]

Thanks

It looks very well as it is. I would center-align the page itself.
Maybe put a breadcrumb trail - to show the user the current section they are on.

I might also put an appropriate image in the header bar to brighten up the pages. Some pages dont have any images - so having a single image (whether it be fixed or a random one) it'd look better IMO.

-steve

It's actually very nice compared to many church sites on the web today. I've done some research on church sites for my pastor, and I've come across the repeated problem that churches are satisfied simply to "exist" on the web, rather than be concerned with their image. The site you referenced is actually done quite well. It always concerns me when a church website has [b]so many[/b] links as those in the drop downs on your site, but the pages actually seem full and well thought through, not empty. The only challenge I would give is to see if there is some restructuring you could do to free up some of those drop down lists. There are so many places to go from the front page, but unless I know exactly what I'm looking for, there isn't much direction from the front page.

One other thought: I [b]really, really[/b] don't like to see church sites that link to external sources for calendars, announcements, schedules, etc. I do not like the way the calendar switches over to an external link with no resemblance to the actual church site at all. That's something that I would focus my attention on first.

Good luck!

I like the site as well. I am also starting to work on my church's site. I have lots of ideas, I have also done a lot of research also. One thing that I would add would be a way to add a DB to it and allow visitors who may want to visit with the church a way to leave a name and number and stuff. I think that most churches forget that they can reach new members that way. My church's current site makes podcasts of the sermons, but the site so is disorganized it is hard to find the information that it has.

I also was looking at the uneeknets church site advisor about what do's and dont's there are with each site, it really had some useful info there.

[quote]I really, really don't like to see church sites that link to external sources for calendars, announcements, schedules, etc.[/quote]

Agreed, that's why I am taking over.  The guy that built it is a designer.  I pretty much suck at design so I am not touching that, lucky for me it already looks good.

I fully intend to get the front page loaded with data that refreshes on a regular basis.  I have looked at lots of calendar programs out there but I cannot find one that suits me, I may write one from scratch.  What do you think?

[quote author=dustinnoe link=topic=124843.msg518795#msg518795 date=1170320809]
I have looked at lots of calendar programs out there but I cannot find one that suits me, I may write one from scratch.  What do you think?
[/quote]

That's why I wrote [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/144/0.php]this tutorial[/url]. I was fed up with trying to find calendar applications that were light weight enough, yet flexible for modification, so I figured I'd share my findings online and hopefully help other people to develop their own. If you choose to use that as a foundation to build your own on, feel free to PM me with any questions you run into. I've had to write up a couple events calendars in the past, and they're not the easiest thing to write ;)

Good luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.