Internet2 - the biggest research project in the world

neylitalo

Whilst browsing my university's telcom website, I saw a link that said "Internet2 @ MTU". Enraged that my school would be falling prey to the nasty trend that is Web 2.0, I followed the link. I was pleasantly surprised to read the following:

Internet2 is a consortium being led by 205 universities working in partnership with industry and government to develop and deploy advanced network applications and technologies, accelerating the creation of tomorrow's Internet.

There are several questions that pop into mind at this point:

"What is Internet2?",

"How is this going to make a difference?", AND

"What was I doing browsing my university's telcom website?"

The third mystery may not be possible to solve, but the other two are merely problems of research.

What is Internet2?

Internet2 was started in 1996 when a bunch of university CIOs decided that they needed some way to fix the state of the national network, for the sake of education and global business. As it turns out, my university's quote of 205 entities is a bit behind the times: According to this December 6, 2006 Chicago Tribune article, it's actually made up of about 300 US universities. I may have exaggerated when I said "the biggest research project in the world", but if it's not, I think it's pretty close.

The impact Internet2 is going to have

Since universities are veritable beehives of ingenuity, the technologies and software possible on this network are only limited by the imagination. With some legs capable of 100 Gb/s, voice and video conferencing is being taken to an entirely different level, and new and improved networking technologies are popping up all over the United States. (That's NOT a typo. One hundred gigabits per second. Ah, to have a connection at home...) IPv6, QOS, and new fiber networking technologies are being used all over Internet2, so it's merely a matter of time until they make their way into "our" internet.

Things like this make me even more excited to be a part of our growing global community. I would have never thought that during my career as a student, I would have a chance to help make a change in the world.

Let's hear your thoughts and opinions on this - and maybe you can help me figure out why on earth I was looking at my school's telecommunication department website. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.