Footy Challenge

chiprivers

Not sure if it is acceptable to post this here or not, apologies if this is not permitted!

I have just started working on a script for preparing my football bets.  I am not really a football fan and dont really know that much about it but I do know a little about statistics :). This script I am working on is for a bit of fun and I dont expect to be able to come up with some fool proof system of winning millions.

So what I was thinking, as I was working away on my script, why not challenge others to create a similare script and see who can come up with the most successful results.  The basic idea behind my script is that I will have a database table that contains the data from the most recent league tables and I have a formula that will apply a pointing system to teams playing each other in the coming games to predict either a home or away win (I am ignoring the possibility of a draw result).

Anyone who wants to have ago, see what you can come up with and post here if you would like to participate.  We can then come up with a way of testing them over the course of a few weeks.

I suppose you're able to make a competition/challenge here on this board, but alternatively you could add it as a contest idea for PHP Freaks' coming contents here: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,123906.0.html

Currently there is another contest running which is due at March 1st, so it wouldn't be before that one has ended.

OK, for anybody that is interested and would like to particpate in this challenge, purely for a bit of competative fun:

Create a script that will predict the results of a selecion of football (soccer) matches by means of analysing the data input from an uptodate results table.  For the purpose of this challenge, we will use the UK Barclays Premier League for which you can see an uptodate results table here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/table/default.stm) and upcoming fixtures here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/fixtures/default.stm).

Keep us uptodate with your progress here and when those who would like to participate are ready we will decide on a set period over which we can use our scripts to predicts the results and award ourselves points for accuracy.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.