Why Do I Have a Fear of Using JavaScript?

nick1

Greetings,

Consider this post more of a therapy session.  I have this anti-javascript attitude that I've been carrying around with me for awhile and I really don't know why.

It's not that I don't understand javascript or don't think it's useful.  Maybe my fear of it is based on other peoples opinions about it.  As I write this, I'm recalling people I've encountered who have used phrases such as "evil javascript" or "eww, javascript" or "insecure javascript" when discussing web development. 

Or maybe I avoid using javascript because of accessibility issues, meaning that a user can disable javascript in their browser if they choose.  In doing so, part of my application is now useless to that user.

For whatever reasons I have been avoiding using javascript, I would like your thoughts on it.  Do you avoid it too?  If so, why?  Or are you of the opposite frame of mind -  you love to use javascript in your web development?  Or maybe you use it only when necessary.  Either way, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

*Nick*

You're right that when someone disables js, then your work is meaningless. But most of the users do not even know how to disable js or they do not care.

I really love to use js in my web applications. Mostly for validations (I also write server side validations) and other things which increase the usability of my work. Like changing the color of a table when mouse comes over it, or hide and show some divs.

For next generation sites which uses AJAX you have to write js anyway. Even there are some frameworks for the js part, I mostly write them. If you enjoy writing code like me, you also write js too :)

But there isn't a good code editor for javascript. Most of them are not good enough. But anyway you should really try to write js. It creates a different in your site. As it works on the client side, it may give the user a better experience on the site.

JavaScript totally rocks!

DHTML (Javascript and CSS) basically affords the humble webpage a degree of interactivity that brings it in line with desktop apps. You can create fantastic forms, wonderful hierachical menus, change content on the fly, add elements to elements, replace stuff, change styles, colours, you name it.

Of course its not secure; it's on the client's machine, but that's not where it's beauty lies. And anyone who turns off JavaScript will probably be happier in a shell environment anyway, so that's their choice.

You may also not like JavaScript because of the annoying things like popups, but this is YOUR code not theirs, and you can do what you want with it.

Like anything, overuse or misuse will make for a poor user experience, but used well it can totally transform a user's web experience. Every time I come back to doing JS after perhaps PHP or Flash I just love the results I get from it!

And now that the latest browsers are finally playing ball with standards (read: Netscape is dead! Long live Firefox!) you should be GAGGING to get there and start having fun with this awesome language.

Just my £0.02...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.