What is the best and most customizable php forum software that you know?

Guest upirate

Guest upirate

It needs to not have a big footprint (search related issues)

It also needs to be customizable fully and easily.

It can be a commercial or opensource

Thank You

Guest upirate

Sorry I should have clarified.

When I said small footprint i meant memory efficient.

Being searchable in google is a definite positive.

Does Vanilla have good SEO ?

thanks

Guest upirate

I am open to commercial solutions also.

I want:

1). small memory footprint.

2). efficient searches

3). SEO Friendly

4). Highly customizable.

is there such a thing ? lol

Vanilla starts you off with the bare bones.  They designed it to stay that way.  There are tons of extensions out there to do the extras you may want.  It also has a few nifty AJAX functions.  It is also very SEO friendly considering the mark-up is super semantic.  Looks wonderful with CSS turned off.

http://www.getvanilla.com

The new verson of phpBB is very interesting. I'm running a beta version of it now and is expected to be released soon.

You have full access to Search Bot Configurations, Allow/Deny whichever ones you want to.

Signatures can be even flash...  Uses ImageMagik to auto resize Avatars that are uplaoded.

Security has been majorly overhauled.  Though these guys are on top of any holes right away when they are reported.

Very customizable..

Send me a PM and I'll set you up to look at some features.

seoing the forum is a seo job any site can be seo to the top of webpages it's the no how ok.

it dosent matter what forum you get the seo of that forum is the work of the seo exspert ok.

you can have baddly writen forum code but hit the top off the search engines ok.

A common rule of thumb is simple about SEO.  Not all Search Bots/Spiders will index your whole forums.  Some will only read X number of meta tags, some will only ready 5 or such expanded topics before the bot/spider moves on to the next topic.  Thats why it crutial that the users that make posts with descriptive titles and the Topic Descritpions are detailed to get indexed well.

The other main thing is that most bots/spiders will not visit your site for a month or more at a time unless you pay them otherwise to get more exposure and updates.

Like redarrow says its the SEO's job to expose your site and figure out the best way to do so.

But if your in charge of this aswell then you will need to know those basics.  Your best bet if you plan to spend money for exposure is Google being the best.  Then Yahoo and microsofts new search second.  Chanes are that if you put money toward exposure toward Google you will be exposed to almost any Search Engine out there.

I feel that Simple Machines Forum should be mentioned (what this forum is running). I have no idea about its memory usage, but its a most excellent forum (for a developers and users point of view). I use it on a few of my sites and theres a nice API to allow you to plug into your frameworks auth functionality.

There is another forum called Phorum, that is quite light weight and has a good level of functionality.

very interesting....

ok lets move on to customizable forums. any ideas or suggestions.

My biggest concern with phpbb and a few others is that they attract a lot of script kiddies (hacking etc) 

What forum would you chose in terms of having 80-100 k members that allows people to search efficiently so maybe it has an excellent  efficient indexer.

Thankyou ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.